[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Didn't Gladys or Kat say in a interview that they passed on "Where Did Our Love Go?" And I believe Cal of the Velvelettes one time said they were considered for the song.

One could assume "Where Did Our Love Go" was cut in a lower key because they originally agreed Mary was going to sing lead? Is it far fetched to think that could be a possibility?

I find it fascinating these stories and perspectives are all different from the people who were directly involved. It makes it harder to get to the bottom of it and know the real truth. Look at "It's The Same Old Song." Duke has said the song was written, recorded, and released within a matter of days, but here we see the track was cut beforehand and that the song had been written for the Supremes. The Supremes track was cut in April 1965 - a full 3 months before the Four Tops' version.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Didn't Gladys or Kat say in a interview that they passed on "Where Did Our Love Go?" And I believe Cal of the Velvelettes one time said they were considered for the song.

One could assume "Where Did Our Love Go" was cut in a lower key because they originally agreed Mary was going to sing lead? Is it far fetched to think that could be a possibility?

I find it fascinating these stories and perspectives are all different from the people who were directly involved. It makes it harder to get to the bottom of it and know the real truth. Look at "It's The Same Old Song." Duke has said the song was written, recorded, and released within a matter of days, but here we see the track was cut beforehand and that the song had been written for the Supremes. The Supremes track was cut in April 1965 - a full 3 months before the Four Tops' version.
    Gladys has definitely said they passed on WDOLG. She said something like the guys brought them WDOLG and TMFITS at the same time and they passed on the former because it had no melody but that they liked the latter with the bongos and everything.

I also recall an interview with Wanda where she mentions passing on it, although I think they might have said it was BABY LOVE.

I must admit that I think it is far-fetched to think that Mary would have been given the lead on it. By this point, Diana had already been designated as the lead singer. She had been the lead on every single except POPCORN to this point. I don't have any access to recording logs so I don't know how many Flo or Mary leads were still taking place by this point. But giving a full lead to Mary on a potential single, especially after the group had just hit the Top 30 with LOVELIGHT doesn't make sense to me, even if Eddie Holland might have wanted it.
    Last edited by reese; 08-02-2018 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Gladys has definitely said they passed on WDOLG. She said something like the guys brought them WDOLG and TMFITS at the same time and they passed on the former because it had no melody but that they liked the latter with the bongos and everything.

I also recall an interview with Wanda where she mentions passing on it, although I think they might have said it was BABY LOVE.

I must admit that I think it is far-fetched to think that Mary would have been given the lead on it. By this point, Diana had already been designated as the lead singer. She had been the lead on every single except POPCORN to this point. I don't have any access to recording logs so I don't know how many Flo or Mary leads were still taking place by this point. But giving a full lead to Mary on a potential single, especially after the group had just hit the Top 30 with LOVELIGHT doesn't make sense to me, even if Eddie Holland might have wanted it.
    You forget that every single that Diana Ross led on up to that point, except When the Lovelight..... flopped! Right after Lovelight, they released "Run,Run, Run" with Diane on lead and it also flopped. They were considering Mary for lead on "Where Did Our Love Go?". Brian Holland wanted Mary to do it, Lamont Dozier and Eddie Holland wanted Diane to do it. They compromised in a way which is why the finished recording sounds like almost a duet with Mary and Diane.