[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Just finished watching the doc. It left me feeling sad and wishing that Donna was still with us, as I think this documentary could have been so much more, if she had been directly involved. Having been a fan of hers for years, I already knew most of what was covered in this documentary. The highlight for me was seeing a lot of the archival/rare footage featured throughout. I felt that this documentary as a whole did not measure up to some of the more recent ones, like the Tina Turner doc. It felt a bit fluffy. I would say it's more for hardcore fans.

Also, considering what a major player Georgio Moroder was in Donna's career, I was surprised he did not get more interview time. This documentary featured more on Donna the superstar and the different facets of her as a woman, and her challenges, versus the making of the music. It was interesting and sad to hear her family speak of her final days, as I had never heard them discuss Donna's illness until now. The doc did give me some new insights into her life. It wasn't a terrible documentary, but perhaps I had set my hopes too high for it.
    You and I must be sharing a brain.

I just finished watching Donna's documentary and though I enjoyed it, I still felt there was something missing. I would have liked to see the actual interviewees. Also, I think more could have been given to her split with Casablanca. On the plus side, there was a lot of footage that I've never seen before so that was a nice touch.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    You and I must be sharing a brain.

I just finished watching Donna's documentary and though I enjoyed it, I still felt there was something missing. I would have liked to see the actual interviewees. Also, I think more could have been given to her split with Casablanca. On the plus side, there was a lot of footage that I've never seen before so that was a nice touch.
    Hehe!

Yes, I definitely felt it was missing something as well. My partner made the same comment as you, Reese...which was that it would have been good to see the interviewees on screen. I'm not sure if they purposely only featured audio of the interviewees because they wanted to devote more time to showing the rare footage of her, or if it was because they completed this during covid and it created issues with being able to film people in person...or if they were just trying to be thrifty? As even some of the more recent interviews done with Donna's daughters and family, sounded like they were recorded via phone conversations at times. That didn't lend itself to very good audio quality. Odd...

Yeah, they really glossed over her leaving Casblanca and barely anything was mentioned about her Geffen years. They made it seem like She Works Hard For the Money was a Geffen record. I think that should have been clarified.

Also, no discussion about her long absence from music, throughout most of the 90s and 2000s.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Hehe!

Yes, I definitely felt it was missing something as well. My partner made the same comment as you, Reese...which was that it would have been good to see the interviewees on screen. I'm not sure if they purposely only featured audio of the interviewees because they wanted to devote more time to showing the rare footage of her, or if it was because they completed this during covid and it created issues with being able to film people in person...or if they were just trying to be thrifty? As even some of the more recent interviews done with Donna's daughters and family, sounded like they were recorded via phone conversations at times. That didn't lend itself to very good audio quality. Odd...

Yeah, they really glossed over her leaving Casblanca and barely anything was mentioned about her Geffen years. They made it seem like She Works Hard For the Money was a Geffen record. I think that should have been clarified.

Also, no discussion about her long absence from music, throughout most of the 90s and 2000s.
    I didn't think about Covid possibly affecting the interview process although it seemed like a stylistic choice.

I know they couldn't include everything. But I also found it strange that there was no mention of THANK GOD ITS FRIDAY or of the SUMMER musical that made it to Broadway, albeit briefly. They also didn't touch on how successful her artwork was. I recall reading some of her paintings sold for a pretty penny.

But the great rare photos and footage [[especially the performance from HAIR) sort of made up for it. It is nice to see our entertainers get this type of treatment. In Donna's case, it is just sad that she isn't around to see it.