Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
I don't think she had any control in how she was billed and promoted via outsiders. That promo that Milven posted is clearly from Mary's "camp" though. What soloist ever poses with background singers for promotional materials? And in matching gowns? I hate that Rags was able to get over on this, but at the same time I feel like it served Mary right for being so clueless at that point in the game. She should have known better. And as a result she had to give up a sliver of the Supremes' legacy to a woman who didn't put in an ounce of work into that legacy, a legacy each of the nine official Supremes can claim.
Technically Mary did have control because it should have been specified in her performance contract. Either with a promotional group or w the performance venue itself. If there are posters or marquee signs they should correspond w that contract.

The problem is Mary was desperately needing gigs to stay afloat. So if it took saying The Supremes’ Mary Wilson or Mary Wilson and the Supremes or whatever she was going to do it. Also she didn’t really have the clout to hold promoters accountable for doing whatever they wanted w the name. They were mostly interested in selling tickets and MW’s name had little economic value. You needed The Supremes in some way or form. And doing something like “MARY WILSON [[and then in smaller letters) formerly of the supremes” just wouldn’t sell tickets