[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    That would seem odd to do. If she couldn't say it, EBONY couldn't. Head-scratcher there.
    I am guessing anyone could say she was a former member of the Supremes. Flo probably could say it too but I think legally she signed away her rights to say it when billing or promoting herself for a gig or performance. She couldn't be promoted as a former member of the Supremes.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    I am guessing anyone could say she was a former member of the Supremes. Flo probably could say it too but I think legally she signed away her rights to say it when billing or promoting herself for a gig or performance. She couldn't be promoted as a former member of the Supremes.
    OK, I got it. I'm guessing that's why neither Eddie Kendricks or David Ruffin left Motown IMMEDIATELY after leaving the Temptations... THEN AGAIN, maybe Flo's attorney was effin' stupid and told her to agree to not legally call herself a former Supreme. UGH, she had no one to back her up, did she?!

OK, I got it. I'm guessing that's why neither Eddie Kendricks or David Ruffin left Motown IMMEDIATELY after leaving the Temptations... THEN AGAIN, maybe Flo's attorney was effin' stupid and told her to agree to not legally call herself a former Supreme. UGH, she had no one to back her up, did she?!
    She did not have an attorney present when she signed her release/settlement documents with Michael Roshkind. You have to understand, for most of the early, classic Motown artists they were told by Berry Gordy "Don't worry about anything. I will always take care of you........" It sounds stupid now, but they actually believed it! He did little things for them like paying for Florence's funeral and bailing Eddie Kendricks out of jail when he was arrested for back child support in 1991 at David Ruffin's funeral. He did those things because he surely did not make sure they got the actual money that they earned while working for Motown.

He wasn't an attorney who specialized in entertainment law, and that's who Florence needed to negotiate her release. A good entertainment lawyer would have never allowed her to sign away her ability to capitalize off of nearly a decade's worth of work nor would have allowed her to sign away her royalties. Despite this idea presented in the thread that Flo was some dummy just signing away her rights, there's a reason why people pay lawyers to handle these things. Florence did what the lawyer told her to do. She trusted him to steer her right and unfortunately wound up in a horrible position. Bad legal advice. She wasn't dumb. This wasn't her fault.