[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Is it official that it was Stevie Wonder holding things up?
    Well, they won't come out and say it publically, but, yes, that was the reason. Seems that, at some point, Stevie decided he did not want edited versions of his songs out there. He controls everything after 1971. That is why, when iTunes put up his Singles Collection, the set hardly had any single versions from the 70s and 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Well, they won't come out and say it publically, but, yes, that was the reason. Seems that, at some point, Stevie decided he did not want edited versions of his songs out there. He controls everything after 1971. That is why, when iTunes put up his Singles Collection, the set hardly had any single versions from the 70s and 80s.
    It's a plausible assumption to make - but still just an assumption, not a concrete fact. There's a big difference between a normal commercial release and a limited edition aimed at a niche market. Does Stevie Wonder even know that "The Complete Motown Singles" series exists?

I can think of lots of possible reasons just as likely that would explain the delay.
    Last edited by 144man; 03-21-2013 at 04:05 PM.

They mean 12A, of course. But we're working hard on 12B, and I'm sure it will be out later in the year. There was some last-minute tweaking of the running order on 12A, Harry will no doubt post the track list soon.

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    They mean 12A, of course. But we're working hard on 12B, and I'm sure it will be out later in the year. There was some last-minute tweaking of the running order on 12A, Harry will no doubt post the track list soon.
    Thanks, Keith. Looking forward to Harry's post.

Quote Originally Posted by no_place_like_motown View Post
    Thanks, Keith. Looking forward to Harry's post.
    The set is now listed at Import Cd's , pre-sale price $67.29.

It's a plausible assumption to make - but still just an assumption, not a concrete fact.
    It is a fact. That is the only reason the set was held up.

It is a fact. That is the only reason the set was held up.
    If that's what you choose to believe, I'm not going to argue with you.
    Last edited by 144man; 03-31-2013 at 07:57 AM.

..... That is why, when iTunes put up his Singles Collection, the set hardly had any single versions from the 70s and 80s.
    ...when a Singles Collection, is NOT a Singles Collection.

It's a plausible assumption to make - but still just an assumption, not a concrete fact. There's a big difference between a normal commercial release and a limited edition aimed at a niche market. Does Stevie Wonder even know that "The Complete Motown Singles" series exists?

I can think of lots of possible reasons just as likely that would explain the delay.
    Heard that it was not Stevie holding things up, but one of the Rare Earth Label groups whose 1972 single, rights previously reverting to the band, needed to be "re-acquired" for the 1972 TCMS set.

Shame Stevie has been blamed.

Could have been both. The story is that it was Stevie.

Heard that it was not Stevie holding things up, but one of the Rare Earth Label groups whose 1972 single, rights previously reverting to the band, needed to be "re-acquired" for the 1972 TCMS set.

Shame Stevie has been blamed.[/QUOTE]

Personally, Soulster, I do NOT know it as a fact, although of course you may. Specifically, I do not know that Stevie Wonder or his people have ever said that we may not use any of his tracks on The Complete Motown Singles.

Personally, Soulster, I do NOT know it as a fact, although of course you may. Specifically, I do not know that Stevie Wonder or his people have ever said that we may not use any of his tracks on The Complete Motown Singles.
    Specifically, it was not about the use of his tracks, but the use of the single edits/versions that he objected to. Like I said, it makes sense if you consider that the download-only comp only has the album versions of his post-1971 material.

As the person who oversaw the project and spent several sleepless nights with Kevin Reeves, Andy Skurow and my co-compiler Kenny Gould assembling the project, I can tell you with absolute certainty that "The Complete Stevie Wonder Collection" we produced for iTunes in 2005 did not [[and does not) have all of his edited singles from the 1970s and 1980s for this reason and this reason only: we included singles from those eras that were different mixes or alternate performances to the album versions. If there were edits of the LP versions already on the set, we did not include them. Same with his 12-inch remixes: we did not include short "radio edits," if they existed, of included 12-inch versions. These decisions were ours. If we missed something unique, blame us.

For TCMS Volumes 12A and 12B, clearance for the SW singles from that year was one factor for the long delay in their production and release, just not the only one.
    Last edited by hwume; 04-01-2013 at 10:39 AM.

With a few exceptions maybe, wouldn't most of the singles from this point on be in stereo?

Thank you Mr Weinger and Keith Hughes for taking the trouble to disclose that it wasn't just Stevie Wonder holding up TCMS12. I feel vindicated.

Very good news to hear that these are now going to come out and thanks and congratulations to all those involved in making it happen. It has taken a very very long time though and I remember being taken to task for being impatient when I merely asked if a release date had been determined. That post was well over three years ago.

If Brian W., who posted on the Steve Hoffman Forums about the J5 singles, is also on this thread, please email me, classic.motown@umusic.com

it was actually held up by me........my credit card was melting

Quote Originally Posted by hwume View Post
    If Brian W., who posted on the Steve Hoffman Forums about the J5 singles, is also on this thread, please email me, classic.motown@umusic.com
    I forwarded this message to him, hopefully this is regarding the wrong mixes

Another must have set [[or 2 to be precise) but as others have said, wouldn't it be great to continue beyond volume 12? Wonder if Berry Gordy has ordered his set yet from Amazon?

The missing single mixes in previous TCMS are:
    _ She's good [[single mono version #2) ,there are two single mix for this song, one is in the TCMS vol.11A [[with backing vocals ) and the second mix [[without backing vocals, it's like a solo Jermaine recording) is still unavailable on cd
    __ Maybe tomorrow [[ short mono promo version), the TCMS includes the long versions:
    http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Jackson-5-PRO...#ht_500wt_1048
    The incorrect single mixes in previous TCMS are:
    _ Mama's pearl , the version includes in TMCS vol.11A it's not the original mono single but just the album version in mono...the single version includes the Tito's bum bum bum during the intro [[not hear on the TCMS version)
    _ Abc , the TCMS includes a long mono version ....the correct single mix is in the Hitsville boxset.

For TCMS Volumes 12A and 12B, clearance for the SW singles from that year was one factor for the long delay in their production and release, just not the only one.
    I feel vindicated too.

Quote Originally Posted by mjdestiny View Post
    The missing single mixes in previous TCMS are:
    _ She's good [[single mono version #2) ,there are two single mix for this song, one is in the TCMS vol.11A [[with backing vocals ) and the second mix [[without backing vocals, it's like a solo Jermaine recording) is still unavailable on cd
    __ Maybe tomorrow [[ short mono promo version), the TCMS includes the long versions:
    http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Jackson-5-PRO...#ht_500wt_1048
    [/QUOTE]
    Re 'Maybe Tomorrow'; there is a precedent in TCMS omitting an edited single version - it happened with The Temptations 'Runaway Child, Running Wild' [[and possibly others), so perhaps the omission of the shorter MT wasn't so much an error as an editorial decision to omit edits. If it was, then it was clearly an inconsistent decision, as other tracks [[such as the Ross 'Ain't No Mountain High Enough') had full and edited versions side by side. I remember feeling disappointed when they did not include the edit of 'Runaway Child', as that was the version I was familiar with from my youth and my Gordy single.

From today's MusicTap"

Motown Select will release The Complete Motown Singles, Volume 12A – 1972 featuring Various Artists from the famed label. Scheduled for June 11.

My copy of G.C. Cameron's "Love Songs & Other Tragedies" arrived today. As I read the booklet, I noticed a likely error for Mowest 5012/"I'm Gonna Get You, Parts 1 & 2".
    The credits [[pg. 12) list the songwriter as Willie Hutch. The essay [[pg. 5) indicates that The Corporation were not only the producers but the songwriters.
    As Keith Hughes had posted in a thread specifically dealing with the G.C. Cameron cd affirming that this single and "My Woman' were previously unreleased but not credited as such here , I decided to go to the 'Don't Forget The Motor City' website.
    To my surprise, the last notation for "I'm Gonna Get You" [[written & produced by The Corporation) is mention of its inclusion in the [[unreleased) Complete Motown Singles Collection Vol. 12A 1972.
    Using David Bianco's 'Heatwave' as a guide, I began to look up other 1972 single sides and soon discovered that they also were listed for that set. In fact I couldn't spot any from the first half of 1972 [[even Rare Earth and Mowest label artists) that were not included.
    I had forgotten that Mowest 5001 Devastating Affair- "I Want To Be Humble"/"My Place" was issued in January 1972, even though Mowest 5002-5008 had all appeared from June-November of 1971.
    I wonder what the story behind that one was? Keith or Harry, can you shed some light on what happened in the case of the first Devasting Affair single?

The track list for v12A was already decided when the last edition of DFTMC was published, two years ago, so we listed the tracks as "Scheduled for ...". A new edition will be appearing shortly - they're still scheduled! The list for V12B is not fixed yet.

MoWest 5001 appears to have been held back, I don't think we ever got the story on that. The MoWest release schedule seems to have been somewhat erratic, with both 45s and LPs getting scheduled then either being held up or cancelled.

Now that it's a little over a month away, is Harry able to post a track list? Or has the running order still not been finalized yet?

Harry tweeted with a pic of the new boxset. I can't save the image from my phone and the tweet isn't on his twitter page [[for some odd reason). Anyway, I noticed that the 45 was removed before the pic was taken, so that is still a surprise. I can't wait for this release!!!

The photo is at the UMGSelect Twitter.

I just realized that, carole, thanks ... It certainly IS Friday, huh? Nearly completely brain dead!

Anyway, here's the pic ...

http://instagram.com/p/Y3LQiJsZXC/

Hnnh??? Why remove the single????? Every past edition has shown the single in early publicity or Harry & Co. have announced what the single would be. Why so much mystery NOW?????
    Perhaps it didn't print well initially or had a mistake on the label and has been sent back [[likely meaning another delay) .. but wouldn't Harry have mentioned that fact when posting the photo on Twitter??? That just doesn't seem to make sense.
    Wait, I know that this is far-fetched.. but what if the single has been purposefully been removed for photos and no explanation given because most of us have never seen the single before ... maybe it's a real rarity- one that was only available as a test pressing but never officially released. Perhaps it's only been in the hands of a few collector's.
    It just may be time to research Keith Hughes' DFTMC 9th edition TCMSVol12 listings for what was scheduled but unreleased.

I didn't personally post that image.

Nonetheless, the book is always printed WELL before the vinyl 45, and the production office gets art samples to look at before the big manufacturing run. I have many copies of sets that are "artwork only" in my office storage.

I have test pressings of the 45 for TCMS Vol. 12A in my office that I need to listen to and [[hopefully) approve, meaning the single to slip into the box set's front sleeve has yet to be manufactured and at this point would not be able to be seen in the photo anyway.

So hold steady, all is well. Back at the desk Monday.

P.S. And, ahem, yes, it is a rarity...
    Last edited by hwume; 05-03-2013 at 06:57 PM.

Rarity.... Let's see.... first half of 1972.......either an extremely rare single from a first tier artist/group or something by one of the less than usual suspects..
    Nothing stands out as rare by an established artist in that time frame so it should be from the following:
    Eric & the Vikings
    Devastating Affair
    Suzee Ikeda
    Blinky
    Blackberries
    Blue Scepter
    Vincent Dimirco
    XIT
    Howl The Good
    Chris Holland and T Bone
    The Courtship
    Different Shades of Brown
    Posse

Some of these seem highly unlikely... So my 4 main guesses from the list would be Devastating Affair, Blinky, Blackberries, Posse.

After looking up the titles by my four major guesses [[and the information listed by Keith Hughes & Ritchie Hardin), one stands out for a very sentimental reason and as a nod and thank you to a certain someone. Do the research and see if you come to the same conclusion that I did.
    Harry,
    I hope that the test pressing in your office sounds ready to manufacture. Looking forward to hearing it when the set is released.
    Last edited by carole cucumber; 05-03-2013 at 08:09 PM.

Nice detective work, Carole! But in case you're thinking what I think you're thinking, you should know the 45 was chosen over four years ago ...

Let's see... A new clue... over four years ago.
    Keith,
    You have stated that your commitment is to present the series through 1972; if anyone wanted to continue the series further, you would gladly hand over the reins.
    What other project[[s) would have been worked on with your involvement in the time frame you suggest? What artist/group might have caught your attention at that time?....
    Oh, I get it.....the sentiment in that case was a passion of discovery.. a nod and thank you to those who worked on that other project and their excitement about something rare.
    Thanks for verifying my suspicions...
    Magnum opus.... not yet... but maybe someday.....

I hope Volume 12b will include the unreleased Bob Babbitt single as it was recorded in 1972.

I can see Blinky as the single for 12A as it is a rarity and it would come full circle, "Money" also being the single used on volume 1

And GK&TP "Neither one of us" for 12B.
    Suitable song to end the series.
    And it would make the Soul label appearance.

As for the Rare Earth label, I can imagine some rights problems resulting in not having it used at all. Even a picture sleeve for that label wasn't reproduced in the series - that for "Too Fat"

Just some guesses

:-)

JB

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    Rarity.... Let's see.... first half of 1972.......either an extremely rare single from a first tier artist/group or something by one of the less than usual suspects..
    Nothing stands out as rare by an established artist in that time frame so it should be from the following:
    Eric & the Vikings
    Devastating Affair
    Suzee Ikeda
    Blinky
    Blackberries
    Blue Scepter
    Vincent Dimirco
    XIT
    Howl The Good
    Chris Holland and T Bone
    The Courtship
    Different Shades of Brown
    Posse

Some of these seem highly unlikely... So my 4 main guesses from the list would be Devastating Affair, Blinky, Blackberries, Posse.
    I'd say "You're The Man" by MARVIN GAYE is a rarity [[I've not had a copy since someone ran off with my 45 about 20 years back) and I believe that single was released in April 1972.

Roger

This is probably a shot in the dark, but my guess would be for The Marvelettes "A Breath Taking Guy". I'm not sure how rare the single is, but they never had a 45 on any of the previous boxsets. All of the other major artists had 45s replicated for the series [[although The Marvelettes were certainly not major in 1972).

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    This is probably a shot in the dark, but my guess would be for The Marvelettes "A Breath Taking Guy". I'm not sure how rare the single is, but they never had a 45 on any of the previous boxsets. All of the other major artists had 45s replicated for the series [[although The Marvelettes were certainly not major in 1972).
    That would be fantastic, and a great tribute in many ways, being the last Marvelettes single, also marking the end of the "Detroit era" as Motown moved to LA leaving behind some of its most iconic artists, and as Johnny points out, the Marvelettes having not being given the honor on any of the previous sets. [[Yes I know there'd be irony in it acutally being a Wanda Rogers solo recording, but let's not quibble.)

Here's hoping!

Wow! Still a good choice, I must say. Still marks the transition to the West Coast, for sure. But it's still a shame the Marvelettes never got the special spot on these great sets!

OK, so I was wrong, but still a fantastic choice ...

I'm curious... where did you find a picture of the set with the single? Harry said in post # 82:
    'the single to slip into the box set's front sleeve has yet to be manufactured and at this point would not be able to be seen in the photo anyway'.

Comparing the 2 pictures in this thread of TCMS Vol 12, the 2nd [[posted by mjdestiny) appears to be original artwork rather than finished product.
    One other thing about the cover that is interesting. Only 3 of the albums pictured were released in 1972.
    Yes, I understand the desire to be faithful to 45 sleeves...it just shows which albums Motown was giving a push to at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    I'm curious... where did you find a picture of the set with the single? Harry said in post # 82:
    'the single to slip into the box set's front sleeve has yet to be manufactured and at this point would not be able to be seen in the photo anyway'.
    Here:
    http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=8934610

Keith,
    Assuming that you wanted TCMS [[from humble beginnings through the move to California) to go out with a bang, it is quite understandable that you and other creative staff persons decided even four years ago to mix things up with 12A's surprise single. Isn't it amazing that the ups and downs of life would give it a far greater impact than you could have ever realized at the time.
    Which leads to 12B and the 144 man's suggestion of the Bob Babbitt single. A second previously unreleased single would be a real treat....but part of me suspects that the last Detroit recorded single [[the identity of which has been debated at this forum) may win out and would be a fitting finale, pointing from the beginning to the end [[of your involvement , if you're still thinking along those lines) of the series.

Can anyone read the Mowest label ? Found this on Deepdiscount.com....no track listing tho
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Looks like The Blackberries to me.