[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_postman View Post
    Looks like The Blackberries to me.
    It's The Blackberrys "Somebody Up There" an unreleased single scheduled as Mowest 5020F

Looks great to me!

Name:  cms12a.jpg
Views: 734
Size:  52.1 KB

TCMSC Vol 12A

RossHolloway Guest
    So what's the significance of that 45 single by the Blackberries? Does anyone know?

Keith Hughes should probably chime in here- but until he does I have my own theories.
    If you've been following the thread, you will note that Harry Weinger did reveal that the single would be a rarity. I looked at the artists for the first half of '72 and narrowed it down to 4 prime suspects. As a means of thanking and acknowledging the late Deke Richards [[who dated Sherlie Matthews of the Blackberries and who helped greatly with the 'Come & Get It: Rare Pearls' J5 set and eight of the tracks on disc 3 of MR&TV "50th Anniversary The Singles Collection 1962-1972), I selected the unreleased Blackberries single as the most likely one. But Keith Hughes interjected that the single had been chosen 4 years ago. I did the math and surmised that it was approximately at that time that 'A Cellarful Of Motown: Volume 4' was being put together. The lead off track was a killer, 'Kidnapped' by the Blackberries. The booklet write-up spoke of the team's
    excitement about all the Blackberries album tracks they had listened to and especially a 'magmun opus' , an almost 8 minute version of 'Love Child' .
    I think the single was chosen not only as a nod to the fine team who championed the Blackberries cause, but also as an incentive for Motown singles collectors.
    Imagine, here is a chance to own a single that has not been available to the public. Looking at the A-side's composers [[Sherlie Matthews and Deke Richards, using his birth-name ) it's bound to be a good one. And perhaps a singles collector, listening to even more obsure and unreleased tracks on Vol 12A might be tempted to seek out previous years of TCMSC, to hear single versions and unreleased tracks he/she may have missed.
    I also think it was chosen because of its California connotation.
    A) it was on the Mowest label and one of the last singles scheduled in the 12A timeframe, by which Motown was to a great degree entrenched in L.A. B) utilized vocalists not associated with Hitsville Detroit [[as it were, the West Coast equivalent of the Andantes) C) paves the way for Vol 12B.
    Again these are just my thoughts. I do hope that Keith or Harry will respond to your question with greater details
    Last edited by carole cucumber; 05-07-2013 at 06:31 PM.

RossHolloway Guest
    @Carole - Thanks for the thoughtful response. Now I'm really curious to hear the unreleased Blackberries album. Maybe HW will give the nod and do a digital album release for all us collectors [[hint, hint..). For 12B I wonder if the 45 will be the last released 45 actually recorded in Detroit. And correct me if I'm wrong but on the jacket/face of the 12A - the albums that are shown were not all released in '72, weren't a couple released in '71? I think it would freak everyone out if they included a couple unreleased album jackets!

And out of curiosity has anyone ever listened to their 45 included on all the TCMS? I wonder if there may be an alt mix or something...

Incredible Carole. Good work.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    For 12B I wonder if the 45 will be the last released 45 actually recorded in Detroit. And correct me if I'm wrong but on the jacket/face of the 12A - the albums that are shown were not all released in '72, weren't a couple released in '71? I think it would freak everyone out if they included a couple unreleased album jackets!
    We obviously are thinking along the same lines. See posts # 96 & #98

Yes it is amazing that decision was made way back then, Carole. I believe Deke knew of our plans, but it is very sad he will not see the single. Lots of reasons for the choice, but the fact is was on MoWest was certainly a factor - we hadn't had an example of that label. Plus it's a great single, though personally I love the B side more!

As for 12B, I think the decision on the 45 has already been made, but perhaps not finalised. And I am pretty sure that a final decision has been made that 12B will be the end of the series!
    Last edited by keith_hughes; 05-07-2013 at 07:07 PM.

Ms. Cucumber, outstanding take, excellent marshalling of the facts, and a stellar presentation!

Can we assume that the hold up on everything else is because they are working hard to finally get Vol. 1 & 2 of the Complete Motown singles out for release?

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    Keith,

Which leads to 12B and the 144 man's suggestion of the Bob Babbitt single. A second previously unreleased single would be a real treat....but part of me suspects that the last Detroit recorded single [[the identity of which has been debated at this forum) may win out and would be a fitting finale, pointing from the beginning to the end [[of your involvement , if you're still thinking along those lines) of the series.
    I was expressing a hope that the tracks on the Bob Babbitt single would be included in Volume 12b. Although it was recorded in 1972, I don't think it was scheduled to be released until 1973. However, if it is not included in TCMS, it is unlikely that we'll ever get to hear it.

Having it included as the bonus single didn't even cross my mind.

All the Rare Earth label singles scheduled for the first half of the year are there. I don't see anything missing.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    Johnny_Raven, thank you very much for this information. I am excited about it.

Penny

Penny:

Me too!!!

JR

"superstition" better be the 45 included in TCMS 12B. the titles in 1972 are getting pretty weak!

Quote Originally Posted by thisoldheart View Post
    "superstition" better be the 45 included in TCMS 12B. the titles in 1972 are getting pretty weak!
    Really? Over Papa Was A Rollin Stone? Temptations haven't had a 45 the whole series Another bonus: it was recorded in Detroit
    Last edited by kje71; 05-09-2013 at 02:14 AM.

i'm with kje71 on this - given that the feature 45 from the 1962 set onwards has reflected all the biggest artists [[and I think there was a case for the 59-61 set to have gone with 'please mr. postman' instead of 'money' as the first #1 single so that the Marvelettes were included), it would seem unfair for the Temptations to be omitted at the expense of another Stevie Wonder 45 or another obscure artist.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Mot...own+singles+12

UK release date of 11th June - currently £72.07.

Quote Originally Posted by kje71 View Post
    Really? Over Papa Was A Rollin Stone? Temptations haven't had a 45 the whole series Another bonus: it was recorded in Detroit
    i hadn't realized the temps never got a single in the series ... but, yes, "superstition" over "papa was a rolling stone" any day. but with your info i think they will go with the temps even though stevie became their biggest star along with marvin gaye, and the temps were in decline.

http://www.blowitoutahere.com/comple...s/602527044453
    Now available for pre-order, plus 15% off discount code MOTHERSDAY13 good through Sunday.

The reason for the use of the Blackberries 45 is simple: why not show the MoWest label, and why not offer a real rarity? That was about all that went into it. But I think Carole's objective assessment shows a lot of great insight into some of the unconscious thought processes that went into the decision as well.

The Vol. 12B single will probably be "Neither One of Us [[Wants To Be The First To Say Goodbye)" for the simplest reasons: First vinyl appearance in the series of Soul label = check. [UGH WRONG, SORRY, SEE VOL. 7] Song title matches the end of the series = check. Considered all of the tracks mentioned above, but circled back to Gladys each time.
    Last edited by hwume; 05-09-2013 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hwume View Post
    The reason for the use of the Blackberries 45 is simple: why not show the MoWest label, and why not offer a real rarity? That was about all that went into it. But I think Carole's objective assessment shows a lot of great insight into some of the unconscious thought processes that went into the decision as well.

The Vol. 12B single will probably be "Neither One of Us [[Wants To Be The First To Say Goodbye)" for the simplest reasons: First vinyl appearance in the series of Soul label = check. Song title matches the end of the series = check. Considered all of the tracks mentioned above, but circled back to Gladys each time.
    Come on Harry! Soul AND Gladys were part of 1967 with IHITTG

RIGHT SORRY.

Title still works for me.

Any other votes/suggestions?

Although I think GK&TP seems the obvious choice for that series, why no Rare Earth rarity? Rare Earth wasn't used at all. That's a shame. And PUZZLE "it's not the last time" which wasn't issued would be :
    -a Rare Earth appearance
    -a rarity
    -a track recorded in Detroit Golden World studios
    -PUZZLE to be the last piece of that giant series
    -the title that would be as prophetic or enigmatic that "neither one of us" would be.

And how about including as a bonus cd all the missing tracks on other boxsets like J5's "Mamas pearl"?

What about that?

JB
    Last edited by jbpintus; 05-09-2013 at 01:11 PM.

RossHolloway Guest
    If its the last volume in the series, the single should be the last 45 release recorded in DETROIT. And if you're taking further request - continue the series beyone 1972. There are many great Motown recording after that year that have never made it onto cd or had a digital release that fan and collectors may never hear. To stop now would be like writing a book on the History of the United States but stopping after World War II.

I never understood the reason why a comprehensive historic project like this would end at 1972. The label didn't end and stop production in 1972. It seems a little bias to me.

I'm with those who say the single for 12b should be "Papa Was a Rolling Stone". One, because it was a huge hit scoring 3 Grammy awards, and two, because The Tempts are the only company bread winners who haven't been represented yet and the Gordy label has only been seen once. It just wouldn't be right for them to be passed over twice for an artist whose been used already. Especially if this is going to be the last installment.
    Last edited by jboy88; 05-09-2013 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    I never understood the reason why a comprehensive historic project like this would end at 1972. The label didn't end and stop production in 1972. It seems a little bias to me.
    I think it's because by this point, albums were taking more priority over singles. While the series continuing further looks good on paper, I don't think some people would be interested in what came out after 1972. Though I would like to see some '73 singles reissued though.

Can someone list the featured 45's for each edition?

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    The idea was to capture the "Detroit era."

Honestly the idea was great. And the results even more fantastic than anything we would have dreamt of.

Now when the "Motown singles collection 1959-71" was released it captured the Detrout era as well. It didn't prevent the "1972-92" to be released afterwards. And they both are essential releases.

Maybe licensing problems may be bigger from 1972 onwards, anyway I would continue to buy other boxsets from that series. There are still many Motown classics in 1973, 1975...

My vote goes to the last recorded single in Detroit.

When was the last single recorded in Detroit? 1973? 1974? 1975?
    Ok I'm being naughty...
    :-)

I didn't know that Gladys Knight & the Pips' "Can You Give Me Love With A Guarantee" was a scheduled single. Its inclusion is a pleasant surprise.

Exactly. I thought that was the idea through the entire process. For me, the Motown Sound ended in 1971 and then it was quite obvious something was changing. I didn't have any idea what was going on at the time. The hits were becoming less and the focus became Diana, Stevie, Marvin and Smokey. There are songs on this new set I've never heard of but it marks the end of the Detroit era where it should. Anything that made any noise after 1972 is pretty much available and I'm sure there will be more comps. on those in some form. People should be grateful they're getting these singles collections along with everything else we've gotten so far.

Just noticed the new lower price at Hip-O-Select $75.98. Is that pre-sale only?

Hopefully one day in the future, some company will release all singles from the Motown label, up to when it was sold by Berry. There was some great music in the 1970's and 80's for this label. Don't misunderstand me, I think the current project is terrific, but it doesn't offer a true historic compilation of Motown singles.

This is AMAZING news but there's something I don't understand. What does the Album Favorites subtitle mean?

Thanks in advance!

The box set cover is a replica of a 45 sleeve from 1972, which shows pics of album covers that Motown was pushing at the time ... that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    The box set cover is a replica of a 45 sleeve from 1972, which shows pics of album covers that Motown was pushing at the time ... that's all.
    Thanks a lot!

Hi all,

This will be my first-ever post here, though I've been reading the boards for a few years now [[many thanks to all of you who post such great information and interesting stories about the music and the folks behind it -- I've learned a lot reading all of your thoughts!). I'll likely continue to mostly lurk but had drop by and offer up a giant THANK YOU to the folks who have helped make this release possible.

This series has meant the world to me, as my on-a-whim purchase of the 1963 set several years back helped transform my casual appreciation of Motown and soul music into a full-blown obsession. [[I'm 30 years old, grew up hearing the hits on oldies radio but never really delved into the music seriously until about seven years ago.) I've got all the boxes now and have been oh-so-patiently waiting for the day when all the licensing issues would be resolved and the 1972 sets would finally see the light of day. I've just placed my order and will be counting down the days until it arrives.

My two cents on some of the questions raised here:

-- I wholeheartedly agree with jboy88 [[post #129) that The Temptations' "Papa Was A Rolling Stone" should be the final bonus 45, for all the reasons he stated. It would be a bit of a shame to round out this series without the group ever having been represented up front.

-- I'll also chime in with support for extending the series beyond 1972, though I understand why those involved might want to take a well-deserved rest from what must surely have been a very demanding project. The close of the "Detroit era" is of course a natural endpoint, and it's true that the overall quality of the music would dip moving forward and that most of the good stuff from the 70s is available already in some form or another. Still, I know I'd buy future sets up through at least 1975. And even if the music itself is available elsewhere, to me the best part of these box sets has been the incredibly interesting and informative essays for each single, and you can't get those anywhere else! Perhaps it's a bit greedy and uncouth to be clamoring for even more box sets before these final two have even been released, but it's just a testament to how wonderful this series has been that some of us can't help but want it to go on and on. [[Or hey, maybe you guys could head down to Memphis and give the Stax catalogue the same treatment. )

Anyway, THANK YOU again to all those who made this series happen. You've created something both beautiful and important that I think has set a new standard for what historically-minded box sets should be. I'll be forever grateful for it.

Jyqm,

Welcome to the forum!

Skooldem asked for a list of the included 45's, well here goes:

Volume 1: Barrett Strong: Money b/w Oh I Aplogize [[Tamla)
    Volume 2: Mary Wells: You Beat Me To The Punch b/w Old Love [[Motown)
    Volume 3: Martha & Vandellas: Heatwave b/w A Love Like Yours [[Gordy)
    Volume 4: The Supremes: Where Did Our Love Go b/w He Means The World To Me [[Motown)
    Volume 5: Stevie Wonder: Uptight b/w Purple Rain Drops [[Tamla)
    Volume 6: Four Tops: Reach Out I'll Be There b/w Until You Love Someone [[Motown)
    Volume 7: Gladys Knight & The Pips: I Heard It Through The Grapevine b/w It's Time To Go Now [[Soul)
    Volume 8: Marvin Gaye: I Heard It Through The Grapevine b/w You're What's Happening [[Tamla)
    Volume 9: The Jackson 5: I Want You Back b/w Who's Loving You [[Motown)
    Volume 10: Smokey Robinson & The Miracles: The Tears Of A Clown b/w Promise Me [[Tamla)
    Volume 11a: Marvin Gaye: What's Going On b/w God Is Love [[Tamla)
    Volume 11b: Michael Jackson: Got To Be There b/w Maria [[Motown)

Thanks...I appreciate it.

A question for Harry or Keith,

Who picked the albums that are on the 45 picture sleeve that never was? Quite clever and authentic looking. Something struck me as odd- but I couldn't place my finger on it at first. The featured albums are full color.
    But the official picture sleeves [[advertising albums) always utilized a black & white shot of the album covers that were then either printed that way or tinted brown, red, green, blue.
    The 1971 A & B sets featured the last authentic picture-sleeve of that type.
    I'll be curious to see which albums from 1971/1972 you've decided to feature on the reverse side. And which you shall choose for Volume 12-B.
    Last edited by carole cucumber; 05-10-2013 at 08:06 PM. Reason: typo

Just noticed the new lower price at Hip-O-Select $75.98. Is that pre-sale only?
    Great question and one I would like to know the answer to as well. I have seen higher prices mentioned on other sites.

A question for Harry or Keith,

Who picked the albums that are on the 45 picture sleeve that never was? Quite clever and authentic looking. Something struck me as odd- but I couldn't place my finger on it at first. The featured albums are full color.
    But the official picture sleeves [[advertising albums) always utilized a black & white shot of the album covers that were then either printed them that way or tinted brown, red, green, blue.
    The 1971 A & B sets featured the last authentic picture-sleeve of that type.
    I'll be curious to see which albums from 1971/1972 you've decided to feature on the reverse side. And which you shall choose for Volume 12-B.
    I don't ever recall seeing a full-color 45 sleeve with albums, either. I checked my collection the other day and I don't have one. Can't imagine I would have gotten rid of one if I did have it.

Even the 1966 TCMS set has color 45 sleeves pictured. I don't recall ever seeing that one either.