[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: D'atra Hicks

  1. #1

    D'atra Hicks

    In my CD rotation in the car today, her turn came around so I played her 1989 CD and it refreshed my memory all over again about what a great album it had been. So why did this girl not become a major star? The album was on a major label (Capitol) and seemed to be an overall well-produced project and her voice was sensational throughout.

    Now I do see from checking Amazon that there was a second album released but it was 22 years later (!) So that makes me skeptical that a second one that much later could really be any good.

    Anyone have both and if I were to take a chance on the second one, would I find it as good as the first?

  2. #2
    I don't have any of her albums, I'm afraid. I did see her perform once on SOUL TRAIN, promoting the first one most likely. I've since seen her in some Tyler Perry plays and a hilarious episode of DIVORCE COURT.

  3. #3
    I have the first album, but not the second. She's been rumored to have been..."difficult" as far back as her Mama, I Want to Sing days; maybe that played a part. She certainly had the vocal goods.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    In my CD rotation in the car today, her turn came around so I played her 1989 CD and it refreshed my memory all over again about what a great album it had been. So why did this girl not become a major star? The album was on a major label (Capitol) and seemed to be an overall well-produced project and her voice was sensational throughout.

    Now I do see from checking Amazon that there was a second album released but it was 22 years later (!) So that makes me skeptical that a second one that much later could really be any good.

    Anyone have both and if I were to take a chance on the second one, would I find it as good as the first?
    I bought her first cd at the time of release and which i recall was rather good. I haven't played in perhaps 30 years, in fact i had totally forgotten about it. She had a fine voice as i recall but was promptly dropped when the album underperformed. I know absolutely nothing about her so i cannot say if she was regarded as difficult or not.
    I was unaware she released a 2nd cd, presumably on a small independent label?
    I shall have to give her debut album another spin. Thanks for the reminder.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,834
    I remember when her album dropped. My ex brother in law was working with Capitol Records at the time and he gave me a stack of cds including hers, BeBe & CeCe Winans and MC Hammer. I thought that she was extremely talented and the project was solid. I always wondered why she never went further in her recording career. I have seen her name a lot of the black play circuit as reese stated. I believe that she had a sister who also put out an album some years ago. Haven't seen the ex-brother in law in over ten years or else I'd ask him.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,834
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I don't have any of her albums, I'm afraid. I did see her perform once on SOUL TRAIN, promoting the first one most likely. I've since seen her in some Tyler Perry plays and a hilarious episode of DIVORCE COURT.
    What's crazy about this episode is that Mr. Harper is also an actor from Detroit who has done plays locally and nationally. Though it was entertaining, it was pure acting. I know for a fact that those two have never been married to each other.

  7. #7
    I tell you what. Díatra isnít a bigger star due to lack of talent. A few years back, I sang background for her in a private concert. She saaaaaaaaang too! She has a lot to offer the world musically. She wasnít difficult to work with. She simply wanted things to go well. They did! And yes, she had no worries about the background vocals! We were on point also. Iíd work with her again!

  8. #8
    D'atra Hicks's second album, "Finally My Time" produced 2007 and no lable, is available to listen to on Spotify

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    What's crazy about this episode is that Mr. Harper is also an actor from Detroit who has done plays locally and nationally. Though it was entertaining, it was pure acting. I know for a fact that those two have never been married to each other.
    She was in a follow up episode where Harper's new girlfriend became his old girlfriend. Both episodes were hilarious

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.