[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Soulster, the video link you referenced in your post is from Whitney's 2010 UK/European Nothing But Love Tour. The incident that is being referenced [[Whitney being booed at the Soul Train Awards) took place in 1989.
    Ah! Well, she still sounded horrible at that concert! That's what drugs, drinking, and alcohol will do to you.

The new documentary covers both the subject of the Soul Train Awards and Rev. Al Sharpton.
    Yeah, I got that.

She was booed at the awards show when they were presenting the nominees for an award, and her name was announced as a nominee while they played a clip from her video, "Where Do Broken Hearts Go". They said that the audience had turned on her for being 'too white'.
    And, that's the thing of it right there: what if any of those teenage or early twenty-something 90s R&B singers had done the song? Then what? No one criticized them for doing that same type of material.

They go into further detail of the impact that event had on Whitney.
    Oh, i'm sure it did! Whitney had been well sheltered and handled at that point. She probably had no idea how a lot of Black folk felt about her. I also find it interesting how Soul Train gave her the award in the midst of these criticisms.

As for Rev. Al Sharpton, they also discuss his protesting of Whitney's music in the late 80's and said he called her "Whitey Houston" and asked for a boycott. They said he had led a protest outside of one of her hotel rooms around this time. I was surprised by this, as I had never heard this story prior to seeing the documentary.
    Yes! I want to see some proof of this ever happening. Not only is this the first time i'm hearing/reading about it. So far, all I have ever read is a say-so, second-hand information. Even when I search the web, I don't see any video footage of any such protest, or his calling her "Whitey Houston". We also have to remember that there are a LOT of Al Sharpton haters out there because of his involvement in the Tawana Brawley case.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Ah! Well, she still sounded horrible at that concert! That's what drugs, drinking, and alcohol will do to you.

Yeah, I got that.

And, that's the thing of it right there: what if any of those teenage or early twenty-something 90s R&B singers had done the song? Then what? No one criticized them for doing that same type of material.

Oh, i'm sure it did! Whitney had been well sheltered and handled at that point. She probably had no idea how a lot of Black folk felt about her. I also find it interesting how Soul Train gave her the award in the midst of these criticisms.

Yes! I want to see some proof of this ever happening. Not only is this the first time i'm hearing/reading about it. So far, all I have ever read is a say-so, second-hand information. Even when I search the web, I don't see any video footage of any such protest, or his calling her "Whitey Houston". We also have to remember that there are a LOT of Al Sharpton haters out there because of his involvement in the Tawana Brawley case.

Exactly. Reverend Al Sharpton spoke at Whitney's funeral and played a role similar to a narrator for the service locally in New York on NBC Channel 4. I do not believe he ever boycotted her. How was it kept a secret for this long?

If you go to Youtube and type in Al Sharpton Whitney Houston, a number of videos come up of Rev. Sharpton either praying for or praising Whitney.