[REMOVE ADS]

The Fellows -- 60's Detroit Group

Anyone here know if the group that won WCHB's 1967 Talent Contest were the same outfit that had a 45 out on Solid Hit a short while later ...
    Attachment 12940

The Fellows 45 A side ....

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  21.1 KB
    The timing is certainly perfect. And why would there be 2 groups called "Fellows" at the same time in Detroit? Clay MacMurray wrote the song, and his music publishing company published it, so no doubt he also produced it for his Red Cap Records, and leased it to Don Davis and Lebaron Taylor's Solid Hit Records. Doesn't Clay still post on this forum? If not, don't we still have posters here who are still in contact with him? If so, we can simply ask Clay.

But, the evidence indicates that "both" groups MUST have been one in the same.

Cheers Robb. I thought that would be the case but someone on the Detroit Soul Facebook page said there were 2 sets of Fellows in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    Cheers Robb. I thought that would be the case but someone on the Detroit Soul Facebook page said there were 2 sets of Fellows in the city.
Views: 336
    Just like there were 2 Dramatics groups in Detroit. But, THEY were 3 years apart [[1963 to 1966 gap). I suspect that The 2 Fellows groups were also NOT quite contemporaries. Which is why I say that THESE Fellows, whose record was only a year or less separated from their contest victory, is the logical choice.

Detroit had a very well-integrated music business. EVERYONE knew just about everyone [[evidenced by Louvain Demps knowing Wade Jones, Spider Turner and Clay MacMurray mentioning that they knew so many of the obscure people we mentioned [[Marvin Jones [[AKA "Jack Montgomery"). All the young singers, songwriters knowing each other, despite attending high schools all over the city. I just can't imagine TWO "Fellows" groups existing at the same time in Detroit, without hearing that the other group existed, and then quickly changing their group name. Didn't Sidney Barnes manage the Solid Hitbound group? I know that current members here have contact both with Clay AND Sidney. Maybe they can ask them about this fellows group. Both would know if they had won that contest. But, I'm already certain they'd HAVE to be the same group, based on the timing.

Hey robb,didn't david ruffin call his backing group[the fellows]?

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
Views: 323
    That rings a bell. Maybe he agreed to have them be his group, and they appeared in a few places. But his main group for the short period between his leaving and signing was The Cavaliers [[that had recorded for Jack Ashford's Pied Piper Productions for RCA Records).

No David Ruffin's NEW group were to be called the FELLAS ... they were actually the Cavaliers [[RCA Detroit version of the group) ...

Robb, I'll be with Sidney Barnes in less than two weeks time @ the Cleethorpes Soul Weekender. So I'll ask him.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Yes he did in the early 70's while Eddie Kendricks had The Posse.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    Robb, I'll be with Sidney Barnes in less than two weeks time @ the Cleethorpes Soul Weekender. So I'll ask him.
Views: 295
    How fortunate! You'll have your answer soon then.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 295
    How fortunate! You'll have your answer soon then.
    I remember David Ruffin's group was called [[spelled) the Fellas. This group did record for RCA label, but I don't think David was part of that recording, but I do remember a single on RCA by the Fellas.

David Ruffin & the Fellas ...
    they actually played a few big live gigs together ... the Regal in Chicago & the Howard in DC being just two of these.
    Attachment 13124