[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1

    Looking for Rare Four Tops Tracks

    Would anyone be willing to share a MP3 of the following rare/hard-to-find Four Tops tracks: Would also be willing to purchase vinyl if available

    I Just Can't Keep The Tears From Tumblin' Down 1956 B Side of
    Everybody Knows by Dolores Carroll and The Four Tops

    Do I Love You 1965 (B Side of Sweeter As The Days Go By) by The Four Tops
    (from 10" Acetate)

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Are you sure that "Do I Love You" is by the Four Tops are there are often different artists on acetates? I`ve never heard of a track of this title by the Four Tops.That`s not to say that is does not exist.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    Are you sure that "Do I Love You" is by the Four Tops are there are often different artists on acetates? I`ve never heard of a track of this title by the Four Tops.That`s not to say that is does not exist.
    Good point. I am not sure whether this track is by the Four Tops or another artist. The places that I have seen this 10" acetate recording listed (mainly Discogs.com), do not indicate another artist as recording this track on the B Side.
    Thanks for the reply

  4. #4
    I question whether either of these exist for the reason that Keith Hughes "Don't Forget the Motor City" site does not indicate either of these titles to the Four Tops. He is one of the leading experts on titles that were recorded.

  5. #5
    thomas96 Guest
    The Four Tops didn't record either of those songs.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas96 View Post
    The Four Tops didn't record either of those songs.
    I don't know about Do I Love You, but the Dolores Carroll single is real enough:

    http://www.popsike.com/DOLORES-CARRO...794110668.html

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by radionixon View Post
    I don't know about Do I Love You, but the Dolores Carroll single is real enough:

    http://www.popsike.com/DOLORES-CARRO...794110668.html
    Thanks. I had also seen this past e-bay listing w/the photo of the 45 r.p.m. It is also listed in the Singles Discography within the Four Tops Fourever Box Set.

    The Four Tops certainly did record Sweeter As The Days Go By as this track is on the Lost and Found CD compilation and can be found on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnXxmkDOwBo

    It might be that the B Side Do I Love You of the 10" Acetate is by white motown female singer Chris Clark. Frank Wilson also had a 45 issue of Do I Love with Sweet Understanding Love on the B Side according to some forum I read. It is also indicated that Marvin Gaye did a version of Sweet Understanding Love in late 1965 but it was never released at that time.

    The A Side of the Dolores Carroll & The Four Tops track I Just Can't Keep The Tears From Tumblin' Down is also offered on Youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpkQz10nn3w

  8. #8
    Yes, sorry, I was replying to thomas96 who seemed to be doubting ( ) both Do I Love You and the Dolores Carroll single - apologies for any misunderstandings/confusion.

    The B-side of "Do I Love You" by Frank Wilson, for both the cancelled US Soul release (the one where a promo copy sold for 25k) and the later British Tamla Motown pressings, was "Sweeter As The Days Go By". It's possible, without knowing the source, that whoever listed the 10" acetate might have accidentally conflated the Tops' version of "Sweeter..." (which as you say is readily available, I've played it on the radio!) with Frank Wilson's promo 7", and the record doesn't actually exist at all.

    Equally likely theories:

    - that there is indeed a Four Tops acetate of Sweeter... which has Do I Love You on the flip, but it's the version by another artist, Frank Wilson or Chris Clark
    - that there is no Four Tops acetate of Sweeter... at all, but there IS one by another artist, with Do I Love You on the flip (also by someone else), that has been mistakenly credited to the Tops
    - that there is a Four Tops acetate of Sweeter... but it doesn't have Do I Love You on the flip
    - and the one you're hoping for, that there is a Four Tops acetate of Sweeter... with Do I Love You on the flip, and both songs are by the Four Tops.

    Just to muddy the waters even further, there's a real, verifiable acetate of Chris Clark's version of Do I Love You knocking around, but the flip is Play It Cool, Stay In School by Brenda Holloway. How confusing!

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by radionixon View Post
    Yes, sorry, I was replying to thomas96 who seemed to be doubting ( ) both Do I Love You and the Dolores Carroll single - apologies for any misunderstandings/confusion.

    The B-side of "Do I Love You" by Frank Wilson, for both the cancelled US Soul release (the one where a promo copy sold for 25k) and the later British Tamla Motown pressings, was "Sweeter As The Days Go By". It's possible, without knowing the source, that whoever listed the 10" acetate might have accidentally conflated the Tops' version of "Sweeter..." (which as you say is readily available, I've played it on the radio!) with Frank Wilson's promo 7", and the record doesn't actually exist at all.

    Equally likely theories:

    - that there is indeed a Four Tops acetate of Sweeter... which has Do I Love You on the flip, but it's the version by another artist, Frank Wilson or Chris Clark
    - that there is no Four Tops acetate of Sweeter... at all, but there IS one by another artist, with Do I Love You on the flip (also by someone else), that has been mistakenly credited to the Tops
    - that there is a Four Tops acetate of Sweeter... but it doesn't have Do I Love You on the flip
    - and the one you're hoping for, that there is a Four Tops acetate of Sweeter... with Do I Love You on the flip, and both songs are by the Four Tops.

    Just to muddy the waters even further, there's a real, verifiable acetate of Chris Clark's version of Do I Love You knocking around, but the flip is Play It Cool, Stay In School by Brenda Holloway. How confusing!
    Thanks for the additional information. I might give up on finding a potential Four Tops recording of Do I Love You but still seeking an MP3 of that B Side by Dolores Carroll and the Four Tops as that one seems to be more credible as existing.

  10. #10
    thomas96 Guest
    I apologize thank you for correcting me on the first song. I misread and thought it was dated 1965 not 1956. I knew they didn't record it at Motown...

    As for Do I Love You, the Tops did not record it, it doesn't exist.

  11. #11
    Since I cannot get at my albums, I am waiting for someone to finally upload "Sexy Ways" to Youtube. It was from their last Motown album...."Magic".

  12. #12
    I have 2 versions of "Sweeter As The Days Go By" by the Four Tops. The first one was on the Marginal CD "Detroit Rare Tracks From Volume 7" (so an unofficial release) and the second on the Lost & Found set. They are very different. Wouldn't it have been fantastic to have a Four Tops version of "Do I Love You" though?

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Since I cannot get at my albums, I am waiting for someone to finally upload "Sexy Ways" to Youtube. It was from their last Motown album...."Magic".
    Here you go, Marv. I just uploaded it for you. Disregard the watermark, and enjoy the music.
    https://youtu.be/qWYJwK2JiKM

    Jim

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by NVitto View Post
    still seeking an MP3 of that B Side by Dolores Carroll and the Four Tops as that one seems to be more credible as existing.
    NVitto, shoot me a PM with your email address.

    Jim

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by fourtopsjim View Post
    Here you go, Marv. I just uploaded it for you. Disregard the watermark, and enjoy the music.
    https://youtu.be/qWYJwK2JiKM

    Jim
    Jim you are CHAMP! This is the last great record by the Four Tops in my opinion. The Indestructible album from 1988 was good, but this from 1985 was great! Thank you.

  16. #16
    Jim, may I recommend that you edit the title to your video to included "The Four Tops" to make it easier for others to find and enjoy it.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Jim, may I recommend that you edit the title to your video to included "The Four Tops" to make it easier for others to find and enjoy it.
    Done. Glad you like it

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Jim you are CHAMP! This is the last great record by the Four Tops in my opinion. The Indestructible album from 1988 was good, but this from 1985 was great! Thank you.
    Hot Nights was an excellent LP. Too bad it was never released. The title song, and Red Hot Love....love them!

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by fourtopsjim View Post
    Hot Nights was an excellent LP. Too bad it was never released. The title song, and Red Hot Love....love them!
    The single "Hot Nights" was actually played on the radio in Philadelphia towards the end of the summer of 1986. It is a great song and a great delivery by Levi. It was a bit melancholy the way I interpreted it. I related to the song after spending a summer between NYC, Philly and Atlantic City.

  20. #20
    "Hot Nights"!


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.