It was the late fifties and early sixties and I don't think Buttered Popcorn was too off base than "Lollipop", "Green Onions", "Ginger Bread", "Gravy", or "Candy and Cake". Popcorn and going to the movies was a big thing back then so that may be what pushed the button on getting something out there back then. I think "I Want A Guy" was issued first and it tanked so perhaps the thought was lets see if we can get a hit off Flo. To be honest it didn't matter if "Buttered Popcorn" was a hit or not because Berry Gordy was already going to use Diana as his vehicle to push him and his company to the history books. Raynoma Mayberry Liles Gordy Singleton mentioned in her book "Berry, Motown and Me" that it was Diana he was only interested in hiring but she convinced him not to break the group up even before they signed with Motown. So, as far as singing "Buttered Popcorn" or any other song made famous like this in the fifties or early sixties is no different to me. Oh wow now I am singing "Lollipop" and "Do The Mashed Potato" and can't get them out my head.