[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: One more chance

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    A nice ish if slightly bland mor ballad was exactly what Diana did not need at this point in her career. I think the general public and many a fan were left confused by this turn of events.
    With the sparkling "Boss" set and then with the funky "Diana" she appeared to have musically really moved on. Diana was setting trends and appealing to a new and much younger generation. For me the TLA album was a huge step back.
    I love "Stay With Me"..........but even so.
    It was made up of songs that had been recorded over the previous few years. Some were released. Others were not. It was only when Berry knew for sure that Diana was leaving Motown that this album was scheduled. Had she remained at Motown we would have got a totally new album. Don't blame Diana for this album. Blame Berry. At one point he said he would release a "new" album on Diana to compete with any new rca albums.
    Once he had calmed down he realised that would not want to cause a permanent rift with Diana so he wisely decided against it. Family reasons being the prime factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    It was made up of songs that had been recorded over the previous few years. Some were released. Others were not. It was only when Berry knew for sure that Diana was leaving Motown that this album was scheduled. Had she remained at Motown we would have got a totally new album. Don't blame Diana for this album. Blame Berry. At one point he said he would release a "new" album on Diana to compete with any new rca albums.
    Once he had calmed down he realised that would not want to cause a permanent rift with Diana so he wisely decided against it. Family reasons being the prime factor.
    I assumed the TLA album had always been in the pipeline. I wonder if motown would have allowed Diana to produce her next album had she not left the company. I really can't imagine they would have allowed such a poor quality album as WDFFIL to be released.
    Probably due to Diana' huge popularity at time, i remember"One More Chance" receiving decent airplay on uk radio. Perhaps if she had performed the song live on tv it might have been a bigger hit.............There again.... perhaps not.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I assumed the TLA album had always been in the pipeline. I wonder if motown would have allowed Diana to produce her next album had she not left the company. I really can't imagine they would have allowed such a poor quality album as WDFFIL to be released.
    Probably due to Diana' huge popularity at time, i remember"One More Chance" receiving decent airplay on uk radio. Perhaps if she had performed the song live on tv it might have been a bigger hit.............There again.... perhaps not.
    I don't think she would have been allowed to have released such a patchy album on Motown. Aside from Ross78 great care had been taken with Diana's albums since the mid 70's. She had become more involved with the choice of material which makes it all the more baffling that she considered WDFFIL and Silk Electric to be of an acceptable standard.
    She did no promotion for TLA because she had already left the company. She was not happy with the finished album despite it being musically satisfying and wanted nothing to do with it.