[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    That's a loaded question and I am not sure what was going on in Berry's mind. First he wanted her and then he didn't or did he really want the Heavyweights to sign ? I think Teena Marie brought some new things to the table as well as Thelma Houston. Gladys Knight was super good but she was still in a group so I can't really compare her. I think if any female artist had a huge hit then Berry was not going to smother it because that was money in the bank. Gordy put his money on Diana because number # 1 she did what he said and number # 2 she was a an entertainer and not just a singer.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    That's a loaded question and I am not sure what was going on in Berry's mind. First he wanted her and then he didn't or did he really want the Heavyweights to sign ? I think Teena Marie brought some new things to the table as well as Thelma Houston. Gladys Knight was super good but she was still in a group so I can't really compare her. I think if any female artist had a huge hit then Berry was not going to smother it because that was money in the bank. Gordy put his money on Diana because number # 1 she did what he said and number # 2 she was a an entertainer and not just a singer.
    Jean had crossover appeal, which should've worked in her favor. Though she and Diana shared similar vocal qualities, she was not a Diana type entertainer. It would've been very interesting to see how well Jean would've done as a solo. The Supremes as an entity had a certain identity. Surely Jean's solo identity at the time would've been something different.