[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The attraction to music is, as Ollie pointed out, subjective. Of course Diana's voice, as lead vocalist, is always going to be a star of the show, but for many folks, the singer's voice can only carry the song so far. There's a lot that goes into making a song popular. I'd opine that thoughts regarding any of these songs might change if the lyrics weren't written by HDH or music played by the Funk Brothers, both of which are often integral to the popularity of many of the Supremes hits. I wonder what the thoughts would be if Diana were singing songs at Stax written by Isaac Hayes or David Porter and being backed up by Booker T and the MGs.

In any case, perhaps I'm the minority in this forum on this one, so I'll just have to wear that crown. Diana Ross is icing on a Supremes cake for me, but I've never been a fan of icing alone, so it's the combo of the icing and the cake that make this group my favorite. To add, I also find the Funk Bros to be an ingredient of the cake. I find the Supremes a tad less appealing when not fronting that marvelous band. [["Love Is Here and Now You're Gone", not a Funk Bros cut, is easily in my top 5 favorite Supremes hits, go figure.)

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    The attraction to music is, as Ollie pointed out, subjective. Of course Diana's voice, as lead vocalist, is always going to be a star of the show, but for many folks, the singer's voice can only carry the song so far. There's a lot that goes into making a song popular. I'd opine that thoughts regarding any of these songs might change if the lyrics weren't written by HDH or music played by the Funk Brothers, both of which are often integral to the popularity of many of the Supremes hits. I wonder what the thoughts would be if Diana were singing songs at Stax written by Isaac Hayes or David Porter and being backed up by Booker T and the MGs.

In any case, perhaps I'm the minority in this forum on this one, so I'll just have to wear that crown. Diana Ross is icing on a Supremes cake for me, but I've never been a fan of icing alone, so it's the combo of the icing and the cake that make this group my favorite. To add, I also find the Funk Bros to be an ingredient of the cake. I find the Supremes a tad less appealing when not fronting that marvelous band. [["Love Is Here and Now You're Gone", not a Funk Bros cut, is easily in my top 5 favorite Supremes hits, go figure.)
    Diana on Stax? That's an interesting one. I could hear Diana doing some of Carla Thomas' material like COMFORT ME, B-A-B-Y, and SOMETHING GOOD IS GONNA HAPPEN TO YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Diana on Stax? That's an interesting one. I could hear Diana doing some of Carla Thomas' material like COMFORT ME, B-A-B-Y, and SOMETHING GOOD IS GONNA HAPPEN TO YOU.
    Wouldn't that be something? I once offered in the forum that Diana vocally matured to the point that I think it's a mistake to suggest that she wouldn't have been able to fit in over at Stax. Remember, the vocal approach that Diana took during the hitmaking years was often far different from what she walked through the door with. She tore through "Right Way" with a force that rivals some of the other ladies at Motown who are considered so called more "soulful". Had Diana, for whatever reason, gone to Stax around that time, it's an interesting thought to ponder what she may have accomplished there. Obviously doubtful she would've become what she eventually became, as I don't think anyone at Stax was thinking like Gordy, but we may have still known her name. Flo and Mary for sure would've probably benefitted more as lead singers at a place like Stax. All conjecture, of course.

Wouldn't that be something? I once offered in the forum that Diana vocally matured to the point that I think it's a mistake to suggest that she wouldn't have been able to fit in over at Stax. Remember, the vocal approach that Diana took during the hitmaking years was often far different from what she walked through the door with. She tore through "Right Way" with a force that rivals some of the other ladies at Motown who are considered so called more "soulful". Had Diana, for whatever reason, gone to Stax around that time, it's an interesting thought to ponder what she may have accomplished there. Obviously doubtful she would've become what she eventually became, as I don't think anyone at Stax was thinking like Gordy, but we may have still known her name. Flo and Mary for sure would've probably benefitted more as lead singers at a place like Stax. All conjecture, of course.
    Interesting conjecture, though.

Ironically, Stax president Al Bell has said on a few occasions that he had hopes that Carla could gain the kind of success that Diana did, thinking that the Stax sound might have been too rough for her voice. To that end, her recordings seemed to become more pop-ish as the years went by. And the label also went all out, arranging a showcase for Carla at the Bohemian Caverns, where she recorded a live set with standards, songs like MAS QUE NADA, but few of her own hits. Unfortunately, the set remained unreleased for 30 years or more, which must have been a huge disappointment for Carla.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Interesting conjecture, though.

Ironically, Stax president Al Bell has said on a few occasions that he had hopes that Carla could gain the kind of success that Diana did, thinking that the Stax sound might have been too rough for her voice. To that end, her recordings seemed to become more pop-ish as the years went by. And the label also went all out, arranging a showcase for Carla at the Bohemian Caverns, where she recorded a live set with standards, songs like MAS QUE NADA, but few of her own hits. Unfortunately, the set remained unreleased for 30 years or more, which must have been a huge disappointment for Carla.
    Interesting regarding Carla. Never knew that. I'm guessing though, that without Diana and the Supremes as a blueprint, Al may not have thought of Carla in those terms.

I never thought those early Supremes singles such as “Let Me Go The Right Way” captured the essence or beauty of the Ross voice. Possibly the reason why they never took off. For that reason alone l can’t imagine Diana and Stax being a musical match made in heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I never thought those early Supremes singles such as “Let Me Go The Right Way” captured the essence or beauty of the Ross voice. Possibly the reason why they never took off. For that reason alone l can’t imagine Diana and Stax being a musical match made in heaven.
    Agreed. I don't think her voice would have been a good fit for Stax. Motown eventually played to Diana's vocal strengths and i am not sure Stax would have been so careful and patient in developing her raw but obvious potential.
    Motown was the perfect home for her in those crucial early days of her development.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    For me "Right Way" is one of her best vocal moments. Shows just how versatile she is. She really could sing just about anything. A shame that Gordy attempted to coach the more forceful side of her voice out. I listen to "Right Way" and then I listen to "Honey Boy" and think "what a waste".

For me "Right Way" is one of her best vocal moments. Shows just how versatile she is. She really could sing just about anything. A shame that Gordy attempted to coach the more forceful side of her voice out. I listen to "Right Way" and then I listen to "Honey Boy" and think "what a waste".
    Let Me Go has a definite stronger R&B vibe to it. While there's nothing wrong with that, that wasn't Gordy's goal. he had stated that from the beginning, he wanted to find a female pop singer that could appeal to whites and blacks, that could sing MOR songs and move into high $ club work. That's part of the reason why Mabel John [[a close personal friend before during and after her tenure at Motown) left the label. she just wasn't quite the right sound for him

Let Me Go is a great tune and fun early song for the girls. I actually listen to it quite a bit, along with You Bring Back. But both are a much rougher sound than even Lovelight. much less Baby Love.

this rougher sound IMO fit Martha's or Gladys' vocal styles better.