[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    One more thing......
    As HDH was planning to leave Motown, Smokey tried to convince Brian Holland to stay and let Eddie Holland and Lamont Dozier go. This was a shortsighted effort to salvage something to me.

From my observation it seems that Brian gets more credit as a "Genius" on the production side and Lamont is made to sound like someone who was kinda just....."there". Lamont played just as much of an equal role in the trio as Brian did and without him we wouldn't be singing along to many of the songs that we obviously can. Just because Brian could come up with a great melody doesn't mean that Lamont couldn't add something to it to make it a killer melody. Just because Brian could provide a musical backdrop doesn't mean that any songwriter can pen a tune at the same level that Eddie did to go with it. It was a unit,if you take something away it changes the axis. All the elements had to be there in order for it to work.

Lamont survived after leaving the Holland brothers, but Brian couldn't seem to keep the ship righted without him. The melodies remained strong, but Lamont's absence was still felt very strongly despite liking what you heard. He got stronger as time went on, the Holland's went back to Motown out of desperation which Lamont didn't need to do. I just feel that many didn't see what was obvious with these guys. I'm talking too much again....
    in my opinion, the downfall of HDH...is when they entrianed themselves in Motown business...i.e eddie-artist & repertoire & brian-quality control...

Quote Originally Posted by dvus7 View Post
    in my opinion, the downfall of HDH...is when they entrianed themselves in Motown business...i.e eddie-artist & repertoire & brian-quality control...
    It was Berry Gordy's fault though. He thought that if he gave them superior positions within the company then he wouldn't have to let them in on the real wealth that the company was acquiring. Paying a great salary is more cost efficient compared to allowing someone to own publishing. He gave himself a headache by doing all he could to satisfy them in paying as little as possible as opposed to just letting them in on the action a bit.He found good ways to do wrong instead of just doing the right thing and it cost the company.They never would've thought about A&R or Quality Control if they felt that they were being compensated fairly. Mickey Stevenson's job would never be threatened and all the folks that left or had issues with the company afterward would remain.That was the loss that got the ball rolling downward and when you couple that with B.G. spending more time in L.A. and artists being frustrated in dealing with other people it gets ugly. B.G. should've dealt with the real issues head on and had a much longer go even when the company relocated.All the monsters would've been out there with him.....creative and well paid!.
    Last edited by Quinn; 06-15-2019 at 03:43 PM.