Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post

PHILLES 123 [[Released 8/1964) [[Withdrawn 2 Weeks Later)
DARLENE LOVE:
"Stumble And Fall"
[[P. Spector - V. Poncia - P. Andreoli)
Producer: Phil Spector
Arranger: Jack "Specs" Nitzsche
https://youtu.be/KO1Rxq4d4SM
b/w
"[[He's A) Quiet Guy"
[[P. Spector - V. Poncia - P. Andreoli)
Producer: Phil Spector
Arranger: Jack "Specs" Nitzsche
https://youtu.be/Gciizyqyg4k

[NOTE: Darlene Love and The Blossoms had managed to secure a position on the weekly musical TV show "Shindig" as back-up singers for guest recording artists each week. Having just released Darlene's "Stumble And Fall" 45 on Philles 123, Phil informed Darlene that he wanted her to quit "Shindig" and make herself available to him at all times for recording sessions, as necessary. Darlene refused on the grounds that Phil records track after track on her but then never releases them, whereas her "Shindig" gig pays a steady paycheck. Darlene stuck it out with "Shindig", Phil took it as betrayal, and, to punish her, withdrew "Stumble And Fall" within two weeks of its release. To add insult to injury, Phil reassigned Philles 123 to the upcoming Ronettes' "Walking In The Rain" single, as though Darlene's "Stumble And Fall" never existed. Ouch!]
When I heard "Stumble And Fall", it knocked me out! I really like this one and couldn't understand why Phil would withdraw something this good. Now you've brought out the light on this one. I love Darlene's [[and The Blossoms') work on "Shindig!" I've managed to collect, I think, every episode of the show [[and I could talk for decades about my love of this show!)

I often wondered about how their weekly appearances on the show affected their working with Phil. I don't think the Blossoms ever promoted their own records on the show, unless I just haven't seen the espisode[[s) yet. I had never known that Phil Spector view Darlene's being on the show as a betrayal. Very interesting.

Gary, your work here, listing all these records, recording info, etc. is nothing short of amazing. I love your love for this subject!