[REMOVE ADS]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    The only song i didn't totally love at the time is Kiss me now. It has grown on me over the years, but i could manage without it. Not sure what i would replace it with though.
    I agree it is a very consistent and cohesive album which is a remarkable achievement considering all the producers involved.
    I recall Diana telling me she wanted to record Why do fools for this album. Berry insisted on a standard being included. She wanted Fools. He wanted Smile. Berry won of course, and i reckon he was right, but it has got me thinking that Fools could have possibly replaced Kiss me now on the album? I am of course assuming a 1976 version would have a more professional production than the 1981 version. Would it have worked? I don't think it would have been a suitable album closer, but perhaps it could have opened side 2?
    She was determined to record it , and a 1976 version would have saved us the heartache of the 1981 version.
    Thoughts?
    Interesting thought. I think Fools might have provided the light tongue-in-cheek touch following Hangover that Kiss Me Now was attempting. Fools is a more Pop sound than is KMN and closer in uptempo style to LH. The Satchmo-style vocalizing on KMN makes the song sound older and from a different genre than the songs that precede it. KMN is decent but killed the mood on Side 1, imo. It's too bad BG didn't have Diana record WDFFIL anyway. I bet he was kicking himself when it became a hit for her on RCA.
    Last edited by johnjeb; 01-17-2021 at 02:58 PM.