[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I've always been curious about how U.K. tastes differ from U.S. tastes in soul music.

As an American, I never understood the whole Northern Soul thing, so I would really like to see the documentary.

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    I've always been curious about how U.K. tastes differ from U.S. tastes in soul music.

As an American, I never understood the whole Northern Soul thing, so I would really like to see the documentary.
    Looking at that tracklist reminds me just how much the same songs get played at NS doos,. IM getting quite fed up with it there is so much different music to be listened to,you go to Blackpool,Skegness etc the repeat of songs by various DJS is so annoying.really try being more adventorous especially the Vinyl snobbery that goes with it,should have aroom where CDS ARE ALLOWED,Especially with all the unearthed Motown Philly Atlantic etc which are brilliant and would be a breath of fresh air.Iam slowly winding down attending doos it is becoming stale and also quite expensive to listen to same old tunes.cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    Looking at that tracklist reminds me just how much the same songs get played at NS doos,. IM getting quite fed up with it there is so much different music to be listened to,you go to Blackpool,Skegness etc the repeat of songs by various DJS is so annoying.really try being more adventorous especially the Vinyl snobbery that goes with it,should have aroom where CDS ARE ALLOWED,Especially with all the unearthed Motown Philly Atlantic etc which are brilliant and would be a breath of fresh air.Iam slowly winding down attending doos it is becoming stale and also quite expensive to listen to same old tunes.cheers.
    Well that's one of the downsides to a music scene that's been built on the obscurity and rarity of 7" vinyl 45s. The film doesn't help much either as it's based in the 70s and thus no CD players, i-pods, mp3s etc. Just those damned 7" vinyl records!

Ian D

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post

Actually it's not a documentary but a movie, albeit an extremely accurate one. For U.S. viewers it will provide a fascinating snapshot of why the industrial North of the UK had much in common with Detroit, especially the music.

Motown started becoming popular in the UK from circa 1964 [[Mary Wells "My Guy" onwards basically) and then exploded between 1966-69 especially. The Northern Soul scene grew from that to become a major UK musical subculture by the late 1960s/early 1970s.

I think this film beautifully demonstrates the appeal of the Northern Soul scene at the time. The way the music has been mixed in the film is just fantastic. When you hear the Salvadors or Gwen Owens in the film, it just makes perfect sense. I think you'd enjoy it!

Ian D