[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Off-topic: I always found it a bit unbelievable Motown passed on signing the 5th Dimension. Unless Motown felt the mixed groups they had like the Elgins, the Monitors, and Gladys Knight & the Pips were enough, it really doesn't make much sense given how incredibly talented they were and how they fit into the crossover mold Motown was creating. They were leaps and bounds vocally better than the Elgins and Monitors. It's puzzling. Marc Gordon believed in them enough to leave the label, become their manager and take them to Johnny Rivers where they signed with his Soul City Records. Jimmy Webb quickly followed them and left Motown for Soul City.

Going back on the story of Berry asking if "Up, Up And Away" was on the 5th's demo tape, there were a lot of songs Jimmy Webb wrote at Motown that they gave back to him - "By The Time I Get To Phoenix" being a notable one. Had Motown signed the 5th Dimension and Marc and Jimmy stayed, it's very likely "Up, Up And Away" would have been a Motown production.

Someone also mentioned on here several years ago that Marilyn McCoo's name was mentioned by Motown executives as a possible replacement for Diana. Even though this is a lot of what ifs, had the 5th signed to Motown, it may have been Marilyn chosen as Diana's replacement and not Jean.
    Last edited by bradsupremes; 04-29-2022 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Off-topic: I always found it a bit unbelievable Motown passed on signing the 5th Dimension. Unless Motown felt the mixed groups they had like the Elgins, the Monitors, and Gladys Knight & the Pips were enough, it really doesn't make much sense given how incredibly talented they were and how they fit into the crossover mold Motown was creating. They were leaps and bounds vocally better than the Elgins and Monitors. It's puzzling. Marc Gordon believed in them enough to leave the label, become their manager and took them to Johnny Rivers where they signed with his Soul City Records. Jimmy Webb quickly followed them and left Motown for Soul City.

Going back on the story of Berry asking if "Up, Up And Away" was on the 5th's demo tape, there were a lot of songs Jimmy Webb wrote at Motown that they gave back to him - "By The Time I Get To Phoenix" being a notable one. Had Motown signed the 5th Dimension and Marc and Jimmy stayed, it's very likely "Up, Up And Away" would have a Motown production.

Someone also mentioned on here that Marilyn McCoo's name was mentioned by Motown executives as a possible replacement for Diana. Even though this is a lot of what ifs, had the 5th signed to Motown, it may have been Marilyn chosen as Diana's replacement and not Jean.

sorry Brad i stepped on your post

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Off-topic: I always found it a bit unbelievable Motown passed on signing the 5th Dimension. Unless Motown felt the mixed groups they had like the Elgins, the Monitors, and Gladys Knight & the Pips were enough, it really doesn't make much sense given how incredibly talented they were and how they fit into the crossover mold Motown was creating. They were leaps and bounds vocally better than the Elgins and Monitors. It's puzzling. Marc Gordon believed in them enough to leave the label, become their manager and take them to Johnny Rivers where they signed with his Soul City Records. Jimmy Webb quickly followed them and left Motown for Soul City.

Going back on the story of Berry asking if "Up, Up And Away" was on the 5th's demo tape, there were a lot of songs Jimmy Webb wrote at Motown that they gave back to him - "By The Time I Get To Phoenix" being a notable one. Had Motown signed the 5th Dimension and Marc and Jimmy stayed, it's very likely "Up, Up And Away" would have been a Motown production.

Someone also mentioned on here several years ago that Marilyn McCoo's name was mentioned by Motown executives as a possible replacement for Diana. Even though this is a lot of what ifs, had the 5th signed to Motown, it may have been Marilyn chosen as Diana's replacement and not Jean.
    Marilyn McCoo was never considered as a replacement for Ross. She was already under exclusive contract and had emerged as the lead singer for the Fifth Dimension. Going into 1970, the Dimension were hotter than the Supremes. Jean Terrell always had the most priority for the job, Syreeta second and anyone else was merely talk.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Marilyn McCoo was never considered as a replacement for Ross. She was already under exclusive contract and had emerged as the lead singer for the Fifth Dimension. Going into 1970, the Dimension were hotter than the Supremes. Jean Terrell always had the most priority for the job, Syreeta second and anyone else was merely talk.
    Yes, I know that. I already posted that she was not seriously considered but that her name was tossed around in the early stages. In fact, I remember several years back you posted that her name was among those briefly mentioned as a consideration before the search seriously began.