Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
Its always interesting to read how diverse fans likes and dislikes can be. I myself have always found “Stone Liberty” a tad’ monotonous if not utterly depressing. Had it been released as a single, i think it’s fate would have been pretty similar to that of the imo far superior Sleepin’.
By 1975, Nothing on the LTISH album was imo worthy of a single release. If forced to pick, i would probably have gone with “Part Of You” which along with “Kewpie Doll” should definitely have been included on the LTISH set.
I love that our likes and dislikes are so varied Ollie. If the entire discussion is everyone saying "I agree", the conversation quickly becomes boring. Between "Love Song" and "Liberty", IMO "I Heard A Love Song" is the superior cut. Diana kills that vocal. It's my fav song on the entire album. "Stone Liberty" took some years to grow on me. At first listen I thought it was okay, but nothing I would make a point to play. As the years went on the song has become more of a fav. I think the song, had it been released as a single in 74/75, would have resonated with women who could relate to the lyrics and were always looking for a song that speaks to their experience of hard living. Plus that track is funky, which would've attracted the people who might otherwise not identify with the lyrical content.

I LOVE "Sleepin", but only as an album track, not a single. I think what did "Sleepin" in was the melodramatic tone of it all. It's really dreary, the subject matter is even more depressing than that of "Stone Liberty".

There's no way I would pull out 1972 cuts for a 1975 release. There's no scenario I would've released "Part Of You" as a single, but "Kewpie Doll" should have been a single, regardless to whether the Smokey produced project fell through or not. I would've definitely followed "Touch Me In the Morning" with "Kewpie Doll". Serious missed opportunity.