[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I can't fault the Marvelettes themselves, but the dominance of the Ondioline, which is more subdued in the Supremes' recording, leads me to find this version virtually unlistenable.

My first touch with Motown was The Supremes, I was a huge fan but in the meantime I found out some things which made me very sad and I was very dissapointed. So in my school time in the English lesson, we heard "Love child" and analysed the lyrics, in my opinion it was definitve a Diana Ross & The Supremes song with Cindy and Mary in the backround. Years later I discovered it was a Diana Ross record with The Andantes. The second dissapointment was for me to find out that one of my fravorite songs "Forever" only included Diana, I found it out as I saw the Ed Sullivan show. Then I looked around and there were The Marvelettes with the earthy sound and voices. I prefer more than The Supremes, the only group with two lead singers, but I prefer more the version of The Supremes of "I want a guy", because in my opinion it´s more timeless than The Marvelettes version. On the other hand "Way over there" I prefer more the Marvlettes version, is more groovy than The Miracles

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I can't fault the Marvelettes themselves, but the dominance of the Ondioline, which is more subdued in the Supremes' recording, leads me to find this version virtually unlistenable.
    Even though vocally I prefer this version, you're right, I don't know what Brian and Robert were THINKING! The sound was terrible whereas the Supremes' version was actually pristine but, like someone said, the Supremes' version would've been much better had it been at a lower tone. Too high for Diana [[or any of them) to sing in imho

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post

Back in the day, the Ondioline was a poor man's substitute for a string section, which Motown couldn't afford to shell out for back then. The use of the Ondioline worked far better on the Temptations' "Dream Come True."

On songs like the Marvelettes' "I Want a Guy," Stevie Wonder's "Contract on Love," and Mary Wells' "The Day Will Come," you have to use your imagination as to how they would have sounded had they used a string section instead of the Ondioline.

Quote Originally Posted by jalowe1957 View Post
    Back in the day, the Ondioline was a poor man's substitute for a string section, which Motown couldn't afford to shell out for back then. The use of the Ondioline worked far better on the Temptations' "Dream Come True."

On songs like the Marvelettes' "I Want a Guy," Stevie Wonder's "Contract on Love," and Mary Wells' "The Day Will Come," you have to use your imagination as to how they would have sounded had they used a string section instead of the Ondioline.
    With tecnology today, strings can be added. I still think the song is lousy.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    With tecnology today, strings can be added. I still think the song is lousy.
    It was a typical bubblegum song. Even the Marvelettes couldn't make it mature and they were kids themselves [[Wanda was the oldest Marvelette at 18 when this was recorded)!