Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
All of them are quite different singers with a devoted fan base who feel that their singers are the best. technically, none of them possess what critics would consider the best voice. I wasn't comparing their voices, just that each had a unique voice which has captured superstardom. I love Diana Ross' voice but I can see where technically she would not be considered one of the best by critics. In fact, reviews stated that Jean Terrell was a much better singer if not quite so unique and others have stated that Florence Ballard had the best voice in the original Supremes and that once Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene joined the Supremes were never better technically and talentwise. It was not to say Miss Ross is not talented and very unique but in the parameters of critic's concensus of "the best" she may not be thought of in that way just as Cher,Madonna and Britney Spears are also not thought of in that way despite becoming superstars and having a voice that touched many more than so-called "best" voices.
A "critic" has NEVER gotten me to every buy one record, one book, one movie ticket, concert ticket, one meal, or a vacation. A critic is just someone with an opinion. They are not the definitive authority on anything. I think the only people who follow critics either can't think for themselves or someone who needs to follow the crowds and trends. And isn't it interesting that male singers are judged for greatness by a different standard, the strength of their voices are NEVER mentioned when it comes to greatness, apparently only Diana Ross's voice is. I wonder if it's because of racism, sexism or pure jealous of her success.