[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Lynda’s lead is nice enough, but nothing more imo.
    Although obviously a talented and accomplished singer, i have always thought Scherrie’s voice lacked the commercial pop appeal that was needed after Jeans departure. In short although brilliant, she was the wrong choice as lead singer of the Supremes.
    I know many will disagree, but i think had they searched for another singer with a Diana/Jean type voice that was more readily associated with the Supremes sound they might have enjoyed further pop hits.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 06-26-2021 at 06:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Although obviously a talented and accomplished singer, i have always thought Scherrie’s voice lacked the commercial pop appeal that was needed after Jeans departure. In short although brilliant, she was the wrong choice as lead singer of the Supremes.
    I know many will disagree, but i think had they searched for another singer with a Diana/Jean type voice that was more readily associated with the Supremes sound they might have enjoyed further pop hits.
    I absolutely agree, however her voice was good for dance music, but it lacked warmth. Her diction was a tremendous problem at times as lyrics must be easy to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    I absolutely agree, however her voice was good for dance music, but it lacked warmth. Her diction was a tremendous problem at times as lyrics must be easy to hear.
    It would also have made their 70’s hits sound far more authentic when performed live.
    Scherrie is of course a very talented, soulful singer but as you mention, her voice lacks a certain warmth.
    Perhaps they should have looked beyond what an accomplished vocalist Scherrie undoubtedly is and considered was it the right style of voice and sound to lead the Supremes. I don’t think it was.

It would also have made their 70’s hits sound far more authentic when performed live.
    Scherrie is of course a very talented, soulful singer but as you mention, her voice lacks a certain warmth.
    Perhaps they should have looked beyond what an accomplished vocalist Scherrie undoubtedly is and considered was it the right style of voice and sound to lead the Supremes. I don’t think it was.
    I would say my opinion is different from yours regarding Scherrie and Jean. As far as warmth, I would say of the three Diana had the warmest tones, but she didn't convey as much warmth in her vocals as Mary did. Even Diana felt Mary had a warm vocal sound. I would say Diana was very pliable and had the training to elicit empathy from some of her vocals, she had a very distinctive voice. Jean lacked the warmth of Diana as well as lacking her ability to visually shine on stage. Jean's voice was distinctive and she had a very great voice with the ability to interpret lyrics but her vocals didn't really have much warmth to them-when she shared leads with Mary, it was really apparent to me. Scherrie had a voice that was strong, powerful and beautiful if not as distinctive, it still would pull you into a song. Scherrie is the realization of what Florence may have been as the lead singer of the group. Flo had a strong voice, but it wasn't distinctive or as warm as Mary or Diana. Scherrie also had the glamour, razzle dazzle and stage presence that was missing in Jean[[not meant to slight Jean). Do you guys feel Susaye would have been a better choice for lead singer since she had her distinctive multi-octave range? Like Lynda, I feel she would be better as a soloist. Lynda has a good voice and I have liked some of her FLOs vocals but I always felt visually and vocally combined that Mary and Cindy worked best. With Flo, Mary was the anchor to add warmth and depth to the vocals of Flo and Diana, she had the right tone between the two of them to solidify a group sound[[according to Diana). I love all of them, but each had their own unique talents. I think trying to replicate the exact sound of Ross on leads would have only led to comparisons and when someone replaces someone the original is always the template for what you expect and that stifles individuality and growth.

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    I would say my opinion is different from yours regarding Scherrie and Jean. As far as warmth, I would say of the three Diana had the warmest tones, but she didn't convey as much warmth in her vocals as Mary did. Even Diana felt Mary had a warm vocal sound. I would say Diana was very pliable and had the training to elicit empathy from some of her vocals, she had a very distinctive voice. Jean lacked the warmth of Diana as well as lacking her ability to visually shine on stage. Jean's voice was distinctive and she had a very great voice with the ability to interpret lyrics but her vocals didn't really have much warmth to them-when she shared leads with Mary, it was really apparent to me. Scherrie had a voice that was strong, powerful and beautiful if not as distinctive, it still would pull you into a song. Scherrie is the realization of what Florence may have been as the lead singer of the group. Flo had a strong voice, but it wasn't distinctive or as warm as Mary or Diana. Scherrie also had the glamour, razzle dazzle and stage presence that was missing in Jean[[not meant to slight Jean). Do you guys feel Susaye would have been a better choice for lead singer since she had her distinctive multi-octave range? Like Lynda, I feel she would be better as a soloist. Lynda has a good voice and I have liked some of her FLOs vocals but I always felt visually and vocally combined that Mary and Cindy worked best. With Flo, Mary was the anchor to add warmth and depth to the vocals of Flo and Diana, she had the right tone between the two of them to solidify a group sound[[according to Diana). I love all of them, but each had their own unique talents. I think trying to replicate the exact sound of Ross on leads would have only led to comparisons and when someone replaces someone the original is always the template for what you expect and that stifles individuality and growth.
    Jeans voice though not as warm as Diana’s was commercial and unique enough to provide the group with a string of 70’s hits. I believe the public associated the Supremes with a lead singer similar in sound to Diana and Jean.
    Scherrie has a powerful, more strident type voice that i think lends itself less well to pop hits. The fact the group never had another substantial hit after Jean’s departure speaks volumes.
    Purely based on voice, i believe a Jean template was exactly the way to go, but someone who would bring to the group her unique identity and personality.

Do you guys feel Susaye would have been a better choice for lead singer since she had her distinctive multi-octave range? Like Lynda, I feel she would be better as a soloist.
    Maybe. Susaye was a high soprano, but IMO she lacked the vocal depth of Diana and Jean. Those two ladies had a warmth to their voices and the ability to get into character in a song. I've never heard that from Susaye. Of course I'm also someone who finds high voices like Susaye's to be extremely annoying [[Jean Terrell and Deniece Williams the exceptions to the rule), so I may not be qualified to offer a truly unbiased opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    I've never had a problem understanding Scherrie. I can't say I agree that there's anything wrong with her diction. I do agree that she had a perfect dance music voice, which makes her a good fit for what the Supremes were doing at that point. But of course I still hold the opinion that the Supremes should not have been doing disco at all.

I actually see the wisdom in this Ollie. I'm not sure I really held the same opinion before reading your comment. If you think about the Tempts, after David and Eddie left, Otis [[and Melvin) always hired falsetto tenors. And whenever Dennis was off on his own thing, Otis [[and Melvin) usually had a similar voiced singer take over. [[Ollie Woodson being my favorite. Good grief could that man sing!) I think that might be one reason why the Tempts managed to have successes for many years post the exits of it's two most recognizable lead voices. The similar voiced replacements helped keep the original tone, to some degree or another, to the point where the public was comfortable.

To a certain extent, that's probably why the Jean Supremes were initially successful. Had a Gladys Knight type singer taken over, it may have been such a jarring change of voice that the public may have abandoned ship with the first new single. Mary taking over as lead, or in an alternate reality, Flo coming back to assume the position, would have probably maintained some interest because they were originals, but neither of them had similar voices to Diana. Jean kept the tone of the brand. Scherrie did not. I enjoy Scherrie. I love her voice. And of course hindsight is always 20/20. But I do believe that it's possible that if Lynda had stayed when Jean left, and taken over the lead singer position, or another singer with that high toned soprano had been hired instead of Scherrie, that the public may have been more interested.

Of course my main opinion is that without top notch songs to compete with the hits of the day, it didn't matter who was singing lead in the Supremes.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I actually see the wisdom in this Ollie. I'm not sure I really held the same opinion before reading your comment. If you think about the Tempts, after David and Eddie left, Otis [[and Melvin) always hired falsetto tenors. And whenever Dennis was off on his own thing, Otis [[and Melvin) usually had a similar voiced singer take over. [[Ollie Woodson being my favorite. Good grief could that man sing!) I think that might be one reason why the Tempts managed to have successes for many years post the exits of it's two most recognizable lead voices. The similar voiced replacements helped keep the original tone, to some degree or another, to the point where the public was comfortable.

To a certain extent, that's probably why the Jean Supremes were initially successful. Had a Gladys Knight type singer taken over, it may have been such a jarring change of voice that the public may have abandoned ship with the first new single. Mary taking over as lead, or in an alternate reality, Flo coming back to assume the position, would have probably maintained some interest because they were originals, but neither of them had similar voices to Diana. Jean kept the tone of the brand. Scherrie did not. I enjoy Scherrie. I love her voice. And of course hindsight is always 20/20. But I do believe that it's possible that if Lynda had stayed when Jean left, and taken over the lead singer position, or another singer with that high toned soprano had been hired instead of Scherrie, that the public may have been more interested.

Of course my main opinion is that without top notch songs to compete with the hits of the day, it didn't matter who was singing lead in the Supremes.
    The Temptations make for an an excellent comparison Ran. I believe that kind of continuity was vital if the Supremes were to extend their run of hits. Obviously their style of music would evolve over time, but they would still be maintaining the overall sound the Supremes were, and probably always will be associated with.

The Temptations make for an an excellent comparison Ran. I believe that kind of continuity was vital if the Supremes were to extend their run of hits. Obviously their style of music would evolve over time, but they would still be maintaining the overall sound the Supremes were, and probably always will be associated with.
    In some ways, that makes sense for continuing the sound but with the Temptations the lead singers that left were never catapulted to stardom like Diana Ross was in the Supremes. David Ruffin certainly didn't make a huge splash, Dennis Edwards had a few minor hits and Eddie Kendricks while comparing did the best outside of the group was never near the heights that Ross was, The Supremes were in an unenviable situation that Ross became a huge star on her own [[granted with HUGE Motown backing) and any new lead singer who sounded the same would be compared to her. Mary wrote that sometimes it seemed that the weight of that was crushing Jean.I could be wrong, but Mary said Scherrie had a spark, a fire that was missing from the group and that she would not be compared to Ross, for which she was grateful.

In some ways, that makes sense for continuing the sound but with the Temptations the lead singers that left were never catapulted to stardom like Diana Ross was in the Supremes. David Ruffin certainly didn't make a huge splash, Dennis Edwards had a few minor hits and Eddie Kendricks while comparing did the best outside of the group was never near the heights that Ross was, The Supremes were in an unenviable situation that Ross became a huge star on her own [[granted with HUGE Motown backing) and any new lead singer who sounded the same would be compared to her. Mary wrote that sometimes it seemed that the weight of that was crushing Jean.I could be wrong, but Mary said Scherrie had a spark, a fire that was missing from the group and that she would not be compared to Ross, for which she was grateful.
    I believe Jean was only regularly compared to Diana when she first took over as lead singer. To discourage Diana comparisons, i always thought they should have reduced the number of 60’s hits in their live act and lost a few of those sequins. Jean was never fond of performing those songs and I can see why.
    Scherrie may have been vivacious, but again I question if she possessed the right style of voice to lead the group. That’s why I agree with Ran’s analogy to the Temptations.

Diana Ross being a solo star had nothing to do with the issues the 70s Supremes faced. The reality- IMO- is that even if Diana had exited the group and went on to [[relative) obscurity, her lead voice as a Supreme set a tone, as most, if not all, lead singers do. The 70s groupings may have fared better if the 60s had Diana, Flo and Mary trading leads on singles. That's probably another reason why the Tempts fared better as time went on, because they never had one main lead singer. But with Diana as lead on singles, her voice became synonymous with the group, and anyone coming in to assume the role afterwards would need to keep that feeling. Jean accomplished that, to some degree or other. I just don't think Scherrie ever did.