[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Yo... Moe

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Are you serious? I grew up in Raleigh but the only time I would pull for State was if they were not playing Carolina and only then, when Valvano was coaching. A good friend was State's first Black basketball player but he and Norm Sloane butted heads and he quit. I knew the next one [[Al Heartley) because his brother was the basketball coach at my high school and my best friend dated Ed Leftwich [[the 3rd Black player back then) and ended up marrying Bill Chamberlain. [[UNC) My daughter was good friends with Brad Daugherty when he was at UNC. I'm Dean Dome all the way, although I have been known to pull for Duke. LOL

I use to like pro b- ball back in the day mainly because I either knew or was familiar with many of the players from my area. After Jordan left, pro ball lost it's appeal for me.
    Last edited by ms_m; 12-19-2016 at 04:48 PM. Reason: wrong coach Sloane not Valvan

Quote Originally Posted by ms_m View Post
    Are you serious? I grew up in Raleigh but the only time I would pull for State was if they were not playing Carolina and only then, when Valvano was coaching. A good friend was State's first Black basketball player but he and Norm Sloane butted heads and he quit. I knew the next one [[Al Heartley) because his brother was the basketball coach at my high school and my best friend dated Ed Leftwich [[the 3rd Black player back then) and ended up marrying Bill Chamberlain. [[UNC) My daughter was good friends with Brad Daugherty when he was at UNC. I'm Dean Dome all the way, although I have been known to pull for Duke. LOL

I use to like pro b- ball back in the day mainly because I either knew or was familiar with many of the players from my area. After Jordan left, pro ball lost it's appeal for me.
    Been on the bandwagon since 1981. Love the Heels above every other sports team. I have a nephew who is a fan of dook college and I'm still debating whether to keep him. I mean, he's young, right? And I don't hate State. In fact, most years I love them to death, bless their little hairy hearts.

I struggle when trying to come up with a list of my top 10 favorite North Carolina players. Every time I think I know who they are, somebody like Brice Johnson, Marcus Paige, Joel Berry II, Justin Jackson, Harrison Barnes, Kendall Marshall, Ty Lawson, Ray Felton, Sean May, or even Reggie Bullock and Danny Green pops up to screw with my consideration. Least favorite? Easy, that's Rashad McCants.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Been on the bandwagon since 1981. Love the Heels above every other sports team. I have a nephew who is a fan of dook college and I'm still debating whether to keep him. I mean, he's young, right? And I don't hate State. In fact, most years I love them to death, bless their little hairy hearts.

I struggle when trying to come up with a list of my top 10 favorite North Carolina players. Every time I think I know who they are, somebody like Brice Johnson, Marcus Paige, Joel Berry II, Justin Jackson, Harrison Barnes, Kendall Marshall, Ty Lawson, Ray Felton, Sean May, or even Reggie Bullock and Danny Green pops up to screw with my consideration. Least favorite? Easy, that's Rashad McCants.

For me that's an easy one, Charlie Scott 'cause he was the first and a heck of a nice guy but again, before your time. LOL

Dean Smith made it easy to root for UNC, he was a special coach and human being!

I can't dog out Duke, Coach K and Grant Hill killed it in the early 90's.

After Valvano I didn't care one way or the other about State.
    Last edited by ms_m; 12-19-2016 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ms_m View Post
    For me that's an easy one, Charlie Scott 'cause he was the first and a heck of a nice guy but again, before your time. LOL

Dean Smith made it easy to root for UNC, he was a special coach and human being!

I can't dog out Duke, Coach K and Grant Hill killed it in the early 90's.

After Valvano I didn't care one way or the other about State.
    I would love to shake Charlie Scott's hand. He moved up here a few years ago while his son attended Ohio State and seemed like a wonderful man. And Dean Smith remains one of my true idols, in and out of sports. He left $100 for each of his former players in his will with instructions to go out and enjoy dinner on him. Keep in mind, most of them went on to have professional careers on and off the court; the Carolina basketball alumnus who can't find a job didn't learn the right things in college, which basically are that they will take care of you when you leave. Leaving something for hundreds of former charges just spoke volumes about him. That thought seriously made me cry.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    I would love to shake Charlie Scott's hand. He moved up here a few years ago while his son attended Ohio State and seemed like a wonderful man. And Dean Smith remains one of my true idols, in and out of sports. He left $100 for each of his former players in his will with instructions to go out and enjoy dinner on him. Keep in mind, most of them went on to have professional careers on and off the court; the Carolina basketball alumnus who can't find a job didn't learn the right things in college, which basically are that they will take care of you when you leave. Leaving something for hundreds of former charges just spoke volumes about him. That thought seriously made me cry.
    He [[Dean Smith) was truly an amazing man. There are practically hundreds of stories about how he helped players after they left UNC. He cared about his players as human beings and I don't ever remember anyone having anything negative to say about the man. He was one of a kind!

Scott was the man and our hero back in the day!

Anyway, before this gets to be too dour [[sorry)... Looks like SOMEBODY's Washington [[pejorative not being typed tonight) are having their collective lunches handed to them by Cam and his crew.