[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    It's too bad that in the midst of "Stoned Love" rising and staying Top 10, that there weren't able to get more exposure in television. I wonder if Smokey's Show would have helped. "Ladder", which they performed, was released in February. "SL" was released in October. While the show didn't air until December, it had to have been recorded sometime in the summer. Which makes sense why they would have performed "Someday", I assume that was still on the charts shortly before they taped. A year later when it aired, it seemed out of place.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    It's too bad that in the midst of "Stoned Love" rising and staying Top 10, that there weren't able to get more exposure in television. I wonder if Smokey's Show would have helped. "Ladder", which they performed, was released in February. "SL" was released in October. While the show didn't air until December, it had to have been recorded sometime in the summer. Which makes sense why they would have performed "Someday", I assume that was still on the charts shortly before they taped. A year later when it aired, it seemed out of place.
    yeah it's surprising that there seemed to be 0 attempt to tie product releases in with tv schedules or tours. It's like the 3 concepts were totally siloed and worked independently of each other. there are a few times that motown really did it perfect - love child was debuted on Ed Sullivan and released the next day. and they clearly knew how important those tv appearances were. But still there are many, many singles they released when there just wasn't much tv exposure due to it being late spring/summer when tv was in reruns.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    yeah it's surprising that there seemed to be 0 attempt to tie product releases in with tv schedules or tours. It's like the 3 concepts were totally siloed and worked independently of each other. there are a few times that motown really did it perfect - love child was debuted on Ed Sullivan and released the next day. and they clearly knew how important those tv appearances were. But still there are many, many singles they released when there just wasn't much tv exposure due to it being late spring/summer when tv was in reruns.
    Exactly! I think ross suffered greatly from not getting her singles on television. I still lose sleep over the fact they were plugging remember me on her first TV special when we chat I’ll be there was her current single. If ever a single needed television exposure it was reach out I’ll be there. I do feel that with a lot of exposure [[and of course my re-edit) there’s a hit record there. The Supremes and tops on at Sullivan would’ve been ideal to boost stoned love and River deep. Plus it would help the sales of the Stillwaters album perhaps. I was surprised that river Deep didn’t hit hard, they got a lot of airplay, but people didn’t seem to be snapping it up.

perhaps Motown should’ve done a yearly special, with taped live performances of Diana Supremes Stevie tempts Marvin the tops Gladys Martha Junior Walker each having a chance to plug something new and present it as if it were one show. It would have to be performed in front of an audience however, not that gaping maw void of energy like GIT on Broadway. Even if they lipped the song, they would still have the energy of a live show. Maybe have Sullivan host it, or, gulp, Cosby or Lily Tomlin - Who could do a little bit with each introduction, A hip, current comedian wouldve been great. That way they could create television time for spring and summer releases. I think if Diane I have performed I’m still waiting on the Grammys that year, it would’ve gone Gold.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I agree. I know that they were scheduled to do ed sullivan with the tops, and I don’t know for sure, because she was vague about it’s cancellation, but I suspect it has something to do with not getting diana ross as a solo act on. He settled for a tribute to Her on his final show, but with the Supremes and tops - they had three hit records at the time it would’ve been a good draw.