[REMOVE ADS]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    So how did you take his comment of David being on Cloud Nine? Was it about David being caught up in fame or was he alluding to a substance abuse issue? Do you recall what else you two talked about over lunch/breakfast?
    Briefly, I don't recall that entire conversation or what prompted me to bring up Ruffin...Just as I interpreted him saying that Ruffin got a way too big for his britches...I was walking through Biffs on W Grand Blvd at lunchtime and walking toward the back we caught each others eye and Paul who was sitting at a table alone in recognized me and invited me to join him [[lunch for me, breakfast for him as I recall). I admit I didn't know the extent of his physical health issues at the time, but his appearance was much different and just worn out looking and even somewhat more depressed than I had ever seen him in the earlier days. I do recall when I asked him what he was up to, he tried to put a good face on and mentioned that he was in the studio working on a solo project. Going back in time, I recall hanging out with Paul and the group in the dressing room before and after the show at the Roostertail the night they cut the Live album... Paul had me and my biddy shagging him drinks of scotch at the bar, and was even buying us drinks, although we were all of about 15 or 16 LOL, and it was a typical scene with Motown people, including the Gordy family coming backstage, Paul the only guy I recall drinking and eating a big steak between shows, and Ruffin of course, surrounded by gaggles of women surrounding him as he walked through the hallway... That was the Paul I remembered, as through those years, I'd talk with Paul on occasion, asking advice, and him telling me that it was a mistake to play in "mixed" race groups...that sticking with white groups was where the money was at... This was just before groups like Sly & The Family Stone hit it big... Anyways, for some reason, Paul's death escaped me when it happened and I found out about it shortly thereafter. It definitely brought back the way he appeared to me that last time I saw him...
    Last edited by StuBass1; 04-08-2021 at 02:38 PM.