[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    In more recent years, I seem to remember Barry Gibb going on record and saying that Diana was his least favourite person to work with. He said he had sent her the demos and expected her to learn the songs in advance. She showed up without having learned any of the songs and he was not happy about it. Not sure if that was her usual working process, or if her emotional state at the time, due to her mother's passing, was to blame? Either way, I wouldn't be surprised if Diana got wind of his comments in these recent interviews, which I can't imagine gave her warm and fuzzy feelings about Barry.

I remember Barry stating all of this in a printed interview, and also said it once on camera. If my memory serves me right, he had said it during his interview for the Bee Gees E True Hollywood Story or A&E Biography.
    Last edited by carlo; 12-29-2023 at 04:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    In more recent years, I seem to remember Barry Gibb going on record and saying that Diana was his least favourite person to work with. He said he had sent her the demos and expected her to learn the songs in advance. She showed up without having learned any of the songs and he was not happy about it. Not sure if that was her usual working process, or if her emotional state at the time, due to her mother's passing, was to blame? Either way, I wouldn't be surprised if Diana got wind of his comments in these recent interviews, which I can't imagine gave her warm and fuzzy feelings about Barry.

I remember Barry stating all of this in a printed interview, and also said it once on camera. If my memory serves me right, he had said it during his interview for the Bee Gees E True Hollywood Story or A&E Biography.
    Interesting post. From everything i have ever read Barry has always been ultra-professional in the recording studio and expects the same. I can see why Diana’s less focussed and casual attitude might have rankled. Especially having worked with the likes of Streisand who is involved in every detail.
    It really was such a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post

she had a couple or three really good vocals on that album, imagine how much better they would’ve been, as well as, of course, the rest of the album, and she had actually put some work into the project. I can imagine how disappointed Barry was when she came in completely unprepared. They might’ve known that at least two cuts that I recall are in the wrong key, and maybe they could’ve done something about that or reworked them a little bit. I think don’t give up on each other at the potential to be a great hit. If it was in a lower key really worked on.

it’s true she was provably exhausted. Losing her mother and going through that horrendous, yet record-breaking run at radio city. But there are telephones, and perhaps she could have called and said that she wasn’t up to it, perhaps, or needed more time to prepare and see if there was any wiggle room timewise. She’s following up the one really commercial album she did it RCA, with an album that, at the very least, needed work. She might have thought because it was Barry Gibb that everything would be done for her, I don’t know I can’t imagine going into the studio with the guy who certainly knows how to make a hit record, totally unprepared.