[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    The public wasn't going to buy a radical Supremes. But it's interesting to ponder what kind of life they would've had if they released a bunch of message songs, like "Stoned Love". The Tempts obviously had great success with this direction. Someone mentioned Norman Whitfield producing the Supremes. I wonder if the opportunity was even presented to Norman. It may have paid off in a big way, allowing the Jean led group to step outside the shadow of the Diana led group, if at all possible. While I don't think Jean, or Mary and Cindy for that matter, would've been a good match for some of Norman's rougher sounds, I do think he could've tailored his style to fit the more sophisticated soul that the Supremes were identified with. Think New Ways But Love Stays on a whole other level.

As it was, the grouping's first three singles fit the message genre. Then comes "River Deep" which has a harder sound than what we usually got from the group. "Nathan Jones" is next. It's not a message song, but there's an element of psychedelia. It's too smooth to be a Whitfield job, but I can hear some influence on the track. "Gott Have Love" is a message cut, but it somehow misses the mark. I like the song, but have often joined the chorus of it was a wrong choice of single. I kind of still think that, however, I wonder if the reason it performed so badly is because of lack of promotion. Maybe it would've sounded better as a Jean solo? Whatever the case, it ultimately was a misstep. Then comes "Touch". I wonder if the group would've rebounded with another message cut. What if the Supremes had "Smiling Faces" instead of the Undisputed Truth. Jean doing most of the lead, Mary coming in a bit. Still a hit?
    I could actually the JMC lineup having a hit with Smiling Faces. Mary and Jean singing together. Would've gave Mary the confidence to find her voice as a lead singer sooner than she did.

Norman gave "The Nitty Gritty" to the Supremes during their DRATS phase and from what I heard, Motown wanted to release it but Bubba Knight stopped that, saying "you should give it to us". As soon as Motown heard the Gladys Knight and the Pips' version, the Supremes' version was suddenly put on the back burner.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I could actually the JMC lineup having a hit with Smiling Faces. Mary and Jean singing together. Would've gave Mary the confidence to find her voice as a lead singer sooner than she did.

Norman gave "The Nitty Gritty" to the Supremes during their DRATS phase and from what I heard, Motown wanted to release it but Bubba Knight stopped that, saying "you should give it to us". As soon as Motown heard the Gladys Knight and the Pips' version, the Supremes' version was suddenly put on the back burner.
    Norman also did "Exception to the Rule" on the group back in 63/64. "Nitty" didn't fit Diana. That was definitely more Gladys' territory.

I agree about "Smiling Faces". "Touch" apparently didn't do the group any favors, but I wonder if "Floy Joy" becoming a hit helped Mary's confidence. That vocal she did on "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" from the Japan live album in 73, she was on fire. It was like that thing had finally woken up.