[REMOVE ADS]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    Found it:

https://motownjunkies.co.uk/2011/12/19/443/

Comment by Landini :
    Hey There, The Tempts do a good job on this one. Gladys Knight & her guys do a smokin job on it as well. Jimmy Ruffin, technically never had a great voice. Some critics talk about how he had trouble staying on key. However, when he had the right production/arrangement/song he could sound very good. Though the title esacpes me I liked that comeback hit he had in the 70s which I think was produced by one of the Gibb Bros. Of course, Mr. J Ruffin gets my vote for having one of the best album titles ever… “The Groove Governor” Right on!
    Lucky, the only thing I remember hearing about Jimmy Ruffin back in the day was that he suffered from a bad case of stage fright. He loved recording but hated performing, which further explains why he turned down the opportunity to join The Temptations.

I, too, love Jimmy's "Groove Governor" album.

I'm easily annoyed by off-key singing, yet I've never associated that problem with Jimmy Ruffin. Robert Goulet, YES!!! But, Jimmy Ruffin, no.

BTW, the comeback album referred to was Jimmy's "Sunrise" LP, released in 1980 on RSO Records, which included his excellent dance-floor anthem, "Hold On To My Love". If my first hearing of this had been on the radio, I would have been thrilled to think that Jimmy had re-signed with Motown and this was his first new release. It has all the earmarks of Motown -- good beat, catchy melody -- especially on the chorus, sweet musical arrangement accented by strings and chimes, pleasing vocal performance, and powerful production -- especially from the instrumental break at 6:24 through the end of the track where the back-up girls come in..

JIMMY RUFFIN - "Hold On To My Love"
    https://youtu.be/RXQjC0FfxrU
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 12-13-2022 at 05:54 AM.