[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    George Clinton was very vocal about his hatred of disco.

Bernard Edwards & Nile Rodgers hated disco, and only used it to get to rock music.

I loved funk more than disco, but they were both good. What pisses me off is how a lot of people confuse the two.

It is funny to hear this because George and Chic saw their greatest successes during this period and they were with records that most people danced to. Regardless how they labled their music, people danced to "Aqua Boogie" and "Le Freak" in 1978 LOL!

It did get to a point where it got too commercial and formulated as I recall and I did not like it. By the time you had disco records by Ethel Merman, the Bradys and the Chipmunks, it had gone way too commerical. When the record companies started including "BPM or Beats Per Minute" on the packaging, is when "Disco" started loosing it's soul and began relying on a formula and that wasn't something I cared for.
    Last edited by marv2; 10-28-2010 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    It is funny to hear this because George and Chic saw their greatest successes during this period and they were with records that most people danced to. Regardless how they labled their music, people danced to "Aqua Boogie" and "Le Freak" in 1978 LOL!
    Well, "Aqua Boogie [[A Psycoalphadiscobetbioaquadooloop)" wasn't disco, but Nile & 'Nard have gone on record saying they hated disco when they started out, and only used it to get famous. They just happened to be good at it. After all, they started out as rockers. I'm sure that, at some point along the line, they took a liking to it, but notice that starting around 1981, Chic abandoned disco for straight R&B. The "Take It Off" album has to be my second favorite Chic album. Too bad it basically bombed, compared to what the band was used to selling. And, of course, it would have to come at the time when R&B was blacklisted for it's close association with disco. But, notice how Nile 'Nard moved toward rock in the 80s? Robert Palmer, David Bowie, INXS, Rod Stewart? They never left the dance scene, though. They produced tons of dance records on their own with Madonna, Sister Sledge, Missing Persons, their own solo albums, and Duran Duran.