[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    It's one of my favorite albums but I always thought A Go Go and Sing HDH could have been combined into one album without all the covers.
    You can hear the difference without the Funk Bros

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    It's one of my favorite albums but I always thought A Go Go and Sing HDH could have been combined into one album without all the covers.
    You can hear the difference without the Funk Bros
    i do agree that A Go Go is a good but not great album. It benefits from having 11 of the 12 songs being very well known. so record buyers would have seen this long list of great song titles. Some of the covers are better than others IMO.

HDH is more uneven. there are wonderful hits and filler. and some real questionable songs too. such as this one.

I think you could still have the 2 albums but, as with many of the DRATS lps, I'd shuffle the songs differently between the two:

A Go Go

Itching
    This old heart
    YCHL
    Mother Dear [[version 3)
    in my lonely room
    just a little misunderstanding

going down 3rd time
    shake me wake me
    get ready
    don't let true love die
    money
    there's no stopping

HDH

YKMHO
    Mikey's monkey
    love is here
    mother you smother you
    put yourself in my place
    i'll turn to stone

love makes me do foolish things
    it's the same old song [[version 1)
    can i get a witness
    remove this doubt
    come and get these memories
    heatwave [[alt version)

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i do agree that A Go Go is a good but not great album. It benefits from having 11 of the 12 songs being very well known. so record buyers would have seen this long list of great song titles. Some of the covers are better than others IMO.

HDH is more uneven. there are wonderful hits and filler. and some real questionable songs too. such as this one.

I think you could still have the 2 albums but, as with many of the DRATS lps, I'd shuffle the songs differently between the two:

A Go Go

Itching
    This old heart
    YCHL
    Mother Dear [[version 3)
    in my lonely room
    just a little misunderstanding

going down 3rd time
    shake me wake me
    get ready
    don't let true love die
    money
    there's no stopping

HDH

YKMHO
    Mikey's monkey
    love is here
    mother you smother you
    put yourself in my place
    i'll turn to stone

love makes me do foolish things
    it's the same old song [[version 1)
    can i get a witness
    remove this doubt
    come and get these memories
    heatwave [[alt version)
    I think both of these track lists would've made far better albums than the originals. No question.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I think both of these track lists would've made far better albums than the originals. No question.
    my version of A Go Go is probably the most dance, fast-paced record by the girls until the disco era. the tempo of these songs, especially my Side A, is quite fast, at least for the 60s. things slow ever so slightly on Side B, which is why I moved Shake Me there. And it could be argued that my playlist is just too much. the album wouldn't have had any rise and fall. just non-stop dance. and all fast. so that's a valid point

As for Heatwave and Same Old Song, I tend to like the more alt versions that weren't released. completely agree that neither has the magic of the original. but at least they did something interesting with them.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    As for Heatwave and Same Old Song, I tend to like the more alt versions that weren't released. completely agree that neither has the magic of the original. but at least they did something interesting with them.
    Yeah, the 1965 Supremes recordings of "Heatwave" and "Same Old" are leaps and bounds better than what appeared on HDH.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Yeah, the 1965 Supremes recordings of "Heatwave" and "Same Old" are leaps and bounds better than what appeared on HDH.
    To my ears both Version 1s of "Heatwave" and "Same Old Song" on A' Go-Go Expanded have the same vocals and phrasing as those same two songs on Sing HDH. I think Version 1 of each song is just too slow. My guess is that they decided they could speed them up and dump them on the poorly thought out HDH LP.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    To my ears both Version 1s of "Heatwave" and "Same Old Song" on A' Go-Go Expanded have the same vocals and phrasing as those same two songs on Sing HDH. I think Version 1 of each song is just too slow. My guess is that they decided they could speed them up and dump them on the poorly thought out HDH LP.
    If I'm not mistaken, the first version of the Supremes' "Same Old Song" was the first version of the song period. The Supremes never cut vocals for it and HDH recut the track with the Tops for the classic we know today. What the EE gang did was take the vocals from the Sing HDH version and edit them onto the original track meant for the Supremes, so that's why the vocals are the same.

As far as the vocals for "Heatwave", they're two different sets of vocals. The Supremes cut their vocals for the first one in 1965 and for the second one in 1966.