Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
Bizarre, strange, unfathomable, the list could go on describing the puzzling reason why this one [[and "My Heart" for that matter) couldn't even get onto the Irresistible album. Brenda Holloway also recorded a version. Was Motown thinking of earmarking her version for release? Motown felt Brenda did well with the slower/mid-tempo tunes. Was Tammi's so good that Motown freaked and just couldn't figure out where such a song would fit on Top 40's landscape? I keep going back to the fact that we judge these songs from the perspective of our times. Maybe things we feel sound like automatic hits were deemed too out of the ballpark for the times back then. Who knows. I do think though that the song is amazingly beautiful and actually, to borrow from what you said, a league apart from almost everything at Motown at that time.
I wonder why Motown never released a new LP on Tammi after she passed? It would have sold decently with the publicity from her passing I think. The only thing we got in the vinyl era was the Marvin & Tammi Compilation LP'S Greatest Hits & Superstar Series Vol 2....