[REMOVE ADS]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Out of curiosity dear, why do you love ITITALT yet hate Theme From Mahogany when both are lush ballads?.
    Answers on a postcard pleeeze.
    I love a good lush ballad, so that's not my problem. "Mahogany" lacks soul IMO. There's not much, if any, soul in Diana's lead, nor in the track itself. In another thread I once mentioned that I put the song in the obvious pop category, which makes it an odd song considering most of Diana's 70s work. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Diana was best on songs that had, at the very least, a little bit of r&b to it. "Mahogany" however aint the one. No surprise that it's the one major pop hit [[top 10) of her career that didn't make it's way into the r&b top 10. I suspect it got as high as #11 just on the strength of her name, the success of the movie, and how popular she was with Black audiences. For me, I'm generally not a fan of her overly pop work, although there are a few exceptions.
    Last edited by RanRan79; 05-14-2019 at 03:02 PM.