[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I guess RCA wanted to get Diana Ross product out there given the amount of money they spent to sign her, and due to her recent string of big hits. Strike while the iron is hot. But one can argue that she wasn't a newly minted star where there is a true need to get a new song and album to maintain the momentum of a new star. Diana Ross was established. Would the public have forgotten her if more time had been taken to produce her RCA debut? I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    I guess RCA wanted to get Diana Ross product out there given the amount of money they spent to sign her, and due to her recent string of big hits. Strike while the iron is hot. But one can argue that she wasn't a newly minted star where there is a true need to get a new song and album to maintain the momentum of a new star. Diana Ross was established. Would the public have forgotten her if more time had been taken to produce her RCA debut? I don't think so.

I once, by happenstance, was in TKTS line with an RCA exec in Times Square. He shuttered at the mere mention of her name. He’s the one who told me about them refusing the Central Park album and that’s why there are only 6 rca albums. Her contract was for one per year, but didn’t specify that RCA could dictate content, so They had to accept it, but could refused to release it. He said that they would have re-signed her if she was more cooperative, but both sides couldn’t wait for the contract to end.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    I once, by happenstance, was in TKTS line with an RCA exec in Times Square. He shuttered at the mere mention of her name. He’s the one who told me about them refusing the Central Park album and that’s why there are only 6 rca albums. Her contract was for one per year, but didn’t specify that RCA could dictate content, so They had to accept it, but could refused to release it. He said that they would have re-signed her if she was more cooperative, but both sides couldn’t wait for the contract to end.
    I really enjoy reading such recollections. It provides extra insight into what is surely a very complex character. I’m sure she must have been a complete nightmare to work during that period, but It certainly doesn't stop me being any less of a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I really enjoy reading such recollections. It provides extra insight into what is surely a very complex character. I’m sure she must have been a complete nightmare to work during that period, but It certainly doesn't stop me being any less of a fan.
    that’s one of the wonderful things about this group, everybody has their a little bit of some thing to add, or to comment, or to suggest. When I think of Marv, I think of all the wonderful clips he provided that I never would’ve heard of, I know I had more than a share of run-ins with him, but I don’t think about that anymore I’m so glad.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post

It doesn’t affect my fandom either, it’s just a bit of interesting information.

Such a shame RCA did not released the Central Park live album. I'm sure with some editing it could have been turned into a solid album [[probably better than the Greatest Hits Live). At least we now have it on DVD!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    Such a shame RCA did not released the Central Park live album. I'm sure with some editing it could have been turned into a solid album [[probably better than the Greatest Hits Live). At least we now have it on DVD!
    oh i think it's a mess. 30 years later its fine enough but no way would it have been a quality album. Day 1 is fine enough but you have the whole mess of the weather. without the visual of her on stage in the rain and wind, the sound isn't great. Day 2 her voice isn't as strong. a little raspy now and then.

now if they were releasing VHS tapes of videos back at this time, perhaps that would have been a better outlet. then you have the wildly dramatic visual of the storm and Day 1. then pick a few pieces of Day 2 and have that almost as "Act II" in the video. but this concert doesn't have the audio quality of her Evening With back in 77.

she certainly could have released the 79 HBO special on audio. her vocals there are masterful.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    oh i think it's a mess. 30 years later its fine enough but no way would it have been a quality album. Day 1 is fine enough but you have the whole mess of the weather. without the visual of her on stage in the rain and wind, the sound isn't great. Day 2 her voice isn't as strong. a little raspy now and then.

now if they were releasing VHS tapes of videos back at this time, perhaps that would have been a better outlet. then you have the wildly dramatic visual of the storm and Day 1. then pick a few pieces of Day 2 and have that almost as "Act II" in the video. but this concert doesn't have the audio quality of her Evening With back in 77.

she certainly could have released the 79 HBO special on audio. her vocals there are masterful.
    I think they could have released a single out of her performance of RIBBON IN THE SKY. IMO, it was her best vocal of the day, along with MIRROR, MIRROR.

Back in 1983, one of my local stations aired the Central Park concert and I taped it on 8-track! For months, I used to listen to it every day from 4-5:30 like clockwork. I remember wondering why it wasn't released as a live album but now I agree that it really doesn't work as well without the stunning visuals.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I think they could have released a single out of her performance of RIBBON IN THE SKY. IMO, it was her best vocal of the day, along with MIRROR, MIRROR.

Back in 1983, one of my local stations aired the Central Park concert and I taped it on 8-track! For months, I used to listen to it every day from 4-5:30 like clockwork. I remember wondering why it wasn't released as a live album but now I agree that it really doesn't work as well without the stunning visuals.
    exactly. it's not that she sounds bad [[like on Greatest Hits Live released in early 90s). but she doesn't sound spectacular. and the real gem here was the craziness with the storm and audio only just doesn't capture it. I think a 45 min concert on vhs could have worked. maybe an intro section with footage of the year proceeding with all the work [[just a couple mins) and then the bulk would be Night 1 and the storm. then selections from the second day.

exactly. it's not that she sounds bad [[like on Greatest Hits Live released in early 90s). but she doesn't sound spectacular. and the real gem here was the craziness with the storm and audio only just doesn't capture it. I think a 45 min concert on vhs could have worked. maybe an intro section with footage of the year proceeding with all the work [[just a couple mins) and then the bulk would be Night 1 and the storm. then selections from the second day.
    I think if she had released Central Park on VHS back in the 80s it would have been a big seller. The HBO '79 concert was already available on vhs by that time and her 1984 video collection was actually certified gold.

oh i would have offered to take him to dinner to extend the conversation!!! fascinating!!

oh i would have offered to take him to dinner to extend the conversation!!! fascinating!!
    Believe me honey I was doing everything I could to continue this conversation short of throwing myself on the ground and grabbing his leg! He didn’t really even want to talk about her as I recall, the whole thing was kind of like a nightmare to him. It was a stressful time in her life she was going through all the Motown separation stuff, being an absolute gigantic superstar and all that that entails plus I assume, some sort of desperate need to stay on top which would be stressful, plus she’s raising three girls plus she’s trying to do a movie career plus she’s single and dating and then gets married to a guy that doesn’t understand show business……Those could be reasons why she was investing less time in her recording career than I would’ve liked. But who knows? She was used to just going in and getting things done quickly. The only RCA album I was happy with was swept away.