Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
For those who are interested read on, for those who are not interested please scroll on.

Diana Ross No promotion whatsoever

If the World just Danced - uncharted

Things just don't happen, you have to make them happen!

UK Top 100 Albums w/e 10/9/2021

https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/albums-chart/

'Abba Gold' re-enters the top 10 in it's 1010th nonconsecutive week on the charts. Several other Abba albums have also re-entered the chart. See what a couple of new tracks and a lot of promotion can achieve.
This is completely untrue - there has been a huge amount of publicity and marketing for the Diana Ross release. It was heavily sponsored on Amazon, with the price being only £5.99 for some time; there has been a massive amount of airplay on the radio for a couple of the tracks from the CD. This has been on both commercial radio stations and BBC Radio 2.

I will acknowledge that I haven't seen any marketing by Diana Ross herself - but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. I rarely watch any television, and most of it will be European not British.

It is of course possible that music journalists were excited about the new ABBA release, and weren't bothered at all with Ross' release, so perhaps in music papers [[don't know if there are any weekly ones printed in the UK) the higher profile of ABBA, made them a natural to be written about.

Journalists have wanted to interview each and every member of ABBA, but maybe the same journalists weren't interested in trying to obtain interviews with Ross. They may have attempted but interviews turned down - I'm certainly not privileged to know.

For me, there was simply no competition. Listening to the tracks from the new CD by Ross, didn't inspire me to go out and buy it - even at £5.99. Whereas the ABBA release 'Voyage' I have really enjoyed, and play it a lot - both in the car and at home. It achieved number one in almost 20 countries, and top 3 in many others - including the USA and Canada. I hadn't expected to enjoy the ABBA release at all - it is after all, 40 years since their last offering.