[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    What if
    Chain reaction was the first track on the album and..., first single.
    Eatin was track 5 and only released as a dance single n video with the second single, Crimes of Passion, being released.
    Kinda thought EA was dark but was hoping for me like bro @andys lp shadow dancing.more pop. i thought the album came off more soulful than pop
    Last edited by daviddh; 04-17-2021 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    What if
    Chain reaction was the first track on the album and..., first single and
    Eatin was track 5 and only released as a dance single n video with the second song Crimes of passion, being released.
    Kinda thought EA was dark but was hoping for me like bro @andys lp shadow dancing.more poo
    "Chain Reaction" in the hands of another producer might have yielded a better result here in the States.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    "Chain Reaction" in the hands of another producer might have yielded a better result here in the States.
    Too retro...

I never heard a hit single. 'Chain Reaction' was a nice album track but I couldn't imagine folks buying the single, and in the U.S. they did not.

I was only a little surprised it was such a hit in the UK. That was the same year I learned Sister Sledge's "Frankie" hit No. 1 in the UK. So clearly there is more appetite for throwbacks in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Too retro...

I never heard a hit single. 'Chain Reaction' was a nice album track but I couldn't imagine folks buying the single, and in the U.S. they did not.

I was only a little surprised it was such a hit in the UK. That was the same year I learned Sister Sledge's "Frankie" hit No. 1 in the UK. So clearly there is more appetite for throwbacks in the UK.
    the UK loves nostalgia - big hits in this period were "Reet Petite","Stand By Me" "Under the broadwalk" and Madonna 60'sesque "True Blue" among others

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    the UK loves nostalgia - big hits in this period were "Reet Petite","Stand By Me" "Under the broadwalk" and Madonna 60'sesque "True Blue" among others
    "True Blue" was big over here too, among others with that throwback sound. Honestly, this may have been where Diana could've really garnered some big sales. Her voice is one of the hallmarks of the 60s. Had they figured out a way to pair that with something retro yet very fresh, that didn't make Diana look like a has been trying to reclaim a former glory, she might have had a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    "True Blue" was big over here too, among others with that throwback sound. Honestly, this may have been where Diana could've really garnered some big sales. Her voice is one of the hallmarks of the 60s. Had they figured out a way to pair that with something retro yet very fresh, that didn't make Diana look like a has been trying to reclaim a former glory, she might have had a winner.
    I agree Billy Joel Had huge success with the Frankie Valli/Four Season's homages "The Longest Time" & "Uptown Girl"

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Too retro...

I disagree. That retro 60s sound was one of the rage of the 80s music in the States. The problem is the track was a little stale and the backing vocals were...yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    What if
    Chain reaction was the first track on the album and..., first single and
    Eatin was track 5 and only released as a dance single n video with the second song Crimes of passion, being released.
    Kinda thought EA was dark but was hoping for me like bro @andys lp shadow dancing.more poo
    I don't know. MAYBE if CR was the first single it might have helped salvage the project. but IMO the project was a shitpile. sorry guys - but i'd listen to Silk Electric on endless repeat versus EA.

there is certainly potential on EA but the combination of Diana's own nasality to her voice and the Bee Gee falsettos is one of the harshest, most cringeworthy combination of sounds in her entire discography. I absolutely hate it.

then add to that the horrible production of her vocals. More and More should have been a gorgeous song but her vocals are so weak, so thin and so out of tune. totally unlistenable