[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I personally would have been more then happy for a Sade type album from her, but suspect the majority of fans would have ended up disappointed.
    I always thought that in her interview with Vanity Fair, when she said she wanted to make an album like, Sade, Janet, Withney, she meant that she wanted to be as successful as those girls.

It's kind of the story of her contract period with RCA, she was looking for the right formula to sell records without really knowing where to go.
    This is the weakness of RCA albums and at the same time, it is their wealth. She saw the limits as a producer and went to Steely Dan's side. On Swept away, there is something for everyone. She was too late for Barry Gibb.
    During her '85 European tour, all she could say about Eaten Alive was "the Bee Gees did the best selling album of the 70's, Michael of the 80's and I took both".

It's true that the albums are not satisfactory but some of the recordings are among the best she has ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    I always thought that in her interview with Vanity Fair, when she said she wanted to make an album like, Sade, Janet, Withney, she meant that she wanted to be as successful as those girls.

It's kind of the story of her contract period with RCA, she was looking for the right formula to sell records without really knowing where to go.
    This is the weakness of RCA albums and at the same time, it is their wealth. She saw the limits as a producer and went to Steely Dan's side. On Swept away, there is something for everyone. She was too late for Barry Gibb.
    During her '85 European tour, all she could say about Eaten Alive was "the Bee Gees did the best selling album of the 70's, Michael of the 80's and I took both".

It's true that the albums are not satisfactory but some of the recordings are among the best she has ever made.
    She had been a workaholic for 20 years or so, and had achieved and indeed exceeded most of her ambitions. She was very comfortable financially thanks to the rca deal. Her family was growing up and would soon be added to. Work was no longer the be all and end all. She began to cut back slightly on the workload whilst still engineering a successful career. She found a happy medium and a personal contentment that had previously eluded her. We may have covered our ears at some of the dross she produced, but she would do exactly the same again given the chance. As she once said to me "regrets are for fools".

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    She had been a workaholic for 20 years or so, and had achieved and indeed exceeded most of her ambitions. She was very comfortable financially thanks to the rca deal. Her family was growing up and would soon be added to. Work was no longer the be all and end all. She began to cut back slightly on the workload whilst still engineering a successful career. She found a happy medium and a personal contentment that had previously eluded her. We may have covered our ears at some of the dross she produced, but she would do exactly the same again given the chance. As she once said to me "regrets are for fools".
    I agree Bluebrock. As holy Mother Teresa said. "

Yesterday is gone, tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today, let us begin.

Fondly,

Roberta