[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I was about to say, what do their personal lives have to do with anything?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I don't know if I remember. We use to think it was a live track he came up while messing around with to finish out his Live a the London Palladium album.
    Marvin was messing around with some scratch vocals to a track the band had recorded, as how he usually worked. He couldn't figure out exactly where to go with it. So, overnight, the engineer Art Stewart decided to put something together by editing it, flying in Marvin's vocals to various places, and by mixing in the crowd noise [[you may recognize it from the song "What's Going On"). Marvin heard it the next day and liked it. So, "Got To Give It Up" is really the engineer's creation. Marvin had very little to do with the creation of the song, just as Robin Thicke really had little to do with copping Marvin's song because he was so wasted in the studio.

Bottom line, though, is that it was admitted that they pretty much plagiarized the song.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I was about to say, what do their personal lives have to do with anything?
    It doesn't, Thicke's life is what the public looks at, and, i'm sure, the jury, factored in to a degree.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Marvin was messing around with some scratch vocals to a track the band had recorded, as how he usually worked. He couldn't figure out exactly where to go with it. So, overnight, the engineer Art Stewart decided to put something together by editing it, flying in Marvin's vocals to various places, and by mixing in the crowd noise [[you may recognize it from the song "What's Going On"). Marvin heard it the next day and liked it. So, "Got To Give It Up" is really the engineer's creation. Marvin had very little to do with the creation of the song, just as Robin Thicke really had little to do with copping Marvin's song because he was so wasted in the studio.

Bottom line, though, is that it was admitted that they pretty much plagiarized the song.

It doesn't, Thicke's life is what the public looks at, and, i'm sure, the jury, factored in to a degree.
    Only thing they probably factored in is Robin had paid the Gaye family before with Marvin samples in the past. They did mention that in court.