Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
Au contraire, WaitingWatching -- mysterysinger and I both did....and still do. Once the classic Motown Sound of the '60s was over, we remained true to Motown and continued buying ALL of their product whenever possible -- especially '70s Motown. In the '80s, perhaps, to a lesser degree. But Motown's carry-over artists from the '60s and '70s [[Diana, Smokey, Stevie, Lionel) were still Motown to us, as were Motown's newly-signed '70s artists.. If you no longer linked them to Berry Gordy's Motown, that's cool, but some of us did and always will.
I TOTALLY get that and think it's fantastic that you and others continued thinking in terms of linking artists with Motown well past the 60's. Are you both located in the U.K.? [[I always feel like I'm blowing that- U.K./England, even though it's been very well explained before!)
I probably should have qualified those comments by applying them in general to people in the U.S.
I think the U.K. has always been much stronger in having that devotion to Motown than people in the States. Just from my own experience with my friends, none of them automatically link anyone to any kind of a label. Nobody here says that's a Motown artist or that's an Arista artist, or that's an Epic artist. When Lionel was really hot, I never heard any of the people around me speak of him in terms of being a Motown artist.

But then again, nobody else around here was as diehard a fan of Motown as I was.