[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    ....i think if you talk with any intelligent music/pop historian, they would confirm that in terms of overall cultural impact, the supremes far outweigh TLC
    This is the best quote of the thread. There is no group in the sixties ,seventies, eighties or nineties that had as much impact on our society as the Supremes. To find a female group with as much impact in the twentieth century, you would have to look further back and compare them to the Andrews Sisters. They also sold many millions of records.

TLC was a flash in the pan. People still talk about the Supremes half a century later and we still see references to them in movies, tv shows, magazines etc.

I think a lot of lists, like these, are objective; it all depends on the writer or source.

We've all seen these type of lists; Top 10 Records of all Time, Top 10 Songs of all Time; every one *typically* mentions a few of the same, but the order is changed.

BET has a Top 20 Girl Groups list and TLC is ranked as #1, the Supremes are ranked as #2.

VH1 has a "Top 100 Women in Music" and the Supremes DIDN'T EVEN MAKE THE LIST; nor did Diana Ross.

Of course, you could take a poll here and it could be a three way split between the Supremes, the Vandellas and the Marvelettes.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I think a lot of lists, like these, are objective; it all depends on the writer or source.

We've all seen these type of lists; Top 10 Records of all Time, Top 10 Songs of all Time; every one *typically* mentions a few of the same, but the order is changed.

BET has a Top 20 Girl Groups list and TLC is ranked as #1, the Supremes are ranked as #2.

VH1 has a "Top 100 Women in Music" and the Supremes DIDN'T EVEN MAKE THE LIST; nor did Diana Ross.
    The Supremes were ranked # 16 on the VH-1 list I saw.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    This is the best quote of the thread. There is no group in the sixties ,seventies, eighties or nineties that had as much impact on our society as the Supremes. To find a female group with as much impact in the twentieth century, you would have to look further back and compare them to the Andrews Sisters. They also sold many millions of records.

TLC was a flash in the pan. People still talk about the Supremes half a century later and we still see references to them in movies, tv shows, magazines etc.
    I wouldn't say TLC was a flash in the past. Their sales trumped the Supremes and unless The Supremes plan to record again or one of their reissues will unexpectedly take off that will remain set in stone. They are two totally different groups and one doesn't compare to the other. Of course, the Supremes are in a league of their own when it comes to girl groups but TLC set their own trends and made some great songs.

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    I wouldn't say TLC was a flash in the past. Their sales trumped the Supremes and unless The Supremes plan to record again or one of their reissues will unexpectedly take off that will remain set in stone. They are two totally different groups and one doesn't compare to the other. Of course, the Supremes are in a league of their own when it comes to girl groups but TLC set their own trends and made some great songs.
    Hey, both are now long bygone, as in years since their last new album, acts - how about seeing once and for all, who sells better, in the sense of making a new "Greatest Hits" compilations, perhaps under the S.O.U.L budget imprint, plant them in Wal-Marts, and find out which one more people cleared the shelves?