[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Universal can laugh as much as they want tbh

no physical cd means I won't be buying.

it astounds me that they can be so ignorant to their customers needs.

and if it's down to profit how on earth do the myriad of smaller , and some independent labels, continue to bring us good quality reissues and not go out of business??

shove the digital where the sun don't shine.. Oh and enjoy your laughing universal because when folk stop buying, your shares drop and your bonuses you'll want us then

Quote Originally Posted by mwmr View Post

and if it's down to profit how on earth do the myriad of smaller , and some independent labels, continue to bring us good quality reissues and not go out of business??

shove the digital where the sun don't shine.. Oh and enjoy your laughing universal because when folk stop buying, your shares drop and your bonuses you'll want us then
    I'm with you friend.

Quote Originally Posted by mwmr View Post

You do realize that the heads at CEO aren't the only ones who have to make money, right? With such a large-scale company, there are MANY people who have to be paid for one singular release. If that release doesn't sell, there is no profit. It's not enough that they break even, but they have to make a margin.

Think about it. There's the cost to produce and remaster. There's the cost of the artwork, the liner notes, the design, the printing. And if you like your two-disc deluxe sets, that's even more expensive. There's merchandising, marketing, shipping and handling. There's also royalties, cost of licensing, advertising...the list goes on. Like any business, not only do they have to recoup the cost of making and distributing the product, but they have to make margin, too. To do that, they have to rely on consumers to help cover those costs. Making a physical product available nationwide - even if only online - is expensive. Now I don't know the numbers, but I can bet you that even with the ardent Supremes fans out there, it would still not be enough to justify the expense.

Why can a local business stay afloat then? There's less middlemen. They're not producing nationwide, but for a smaller market that can cover the costs. Not to mention that many of these reissues are only issued in set quantities.