Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
I don't think the public would have been confused. It's not like we're talking about the original group here. This version with Lynda, with all due respect to them, it's not like they were still a household name. [[Technically they were, but as the original group, not this grouping.) And just because they weren't the Supremes anymore doesn't mean they couldn't perform Supremes songs. Everyone else who has left Motown has included their Motown music in their performances. [[Except Florence. I've never heard Flo doing Supremes music during her solo period, excluding her performance of "Come See About Me" in 1975.) In the end, financially speaking, I probably agree with you that it was the right decision. Musically I just think they were dead when Jean and Lynda left. I wonder why Jean and Lynda didn't think to get a third girl and get their own thing going at another label?
Hi RanRan79 you have raised some interesting points and I'll respond purely from my perspective. I have read reports that Jean eventually grew weary of constant comparisons between Diana Ross and herself and grew increasingly reluctant to perform the' Diana era' songs in concert. I can only speculate that if the group took another name and left Motown she would be even less inclined to so. However, I'm sure that concert promoters and the group's management would have been keen to play up the connection between the group and the 'Supremes' name to maximise financial gain. This would in all kiklihood have met with opposition [[and legal action) from Motown.

Regarding Jean and Lynda getting a third girl, I recall an interview with Jean where she stated that prior to securing her solo deal and release of 'I Had To Fall In Love' album there was some talk of Cindy [[following her second exit from the Supremes), Lynda and herself forming a group. For whatever reason this did not eventuate but Jean was offered her solo deal.
while I wouldn't agree that the group was musically dead by the time of the Mary,Scherrie and Cindy lineup, I do concede that the continual comings and goings of members had taken it's toll as well as the fact that there was a long gap of approximately 2 years before any recordings from the MSC grouping was released.