Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
I think Scherrie was far more suited for the disco era. Jean's voice was identifiable but I think her unhappiness with the Supremes' image at that time would have caused problems within the group and Motown. Jean seemed happiest at the start and when she was with Lynda. Motown had lost interest. I don't know what would have happened had she stayed, since she was unhappy with the label and Mary's reliance on the Supremes image. Who knows who they would have put the group with in 1973-74 and what sound they would have developed after Bad Weather. I think the feelings she had toward the company and the image would have not boded well for what would have happened. They certainly would still sound great but the question of whose material would they have done? Jean certainly would not have been the right sound for the songs Scherrie, Mary and Susaye sang in the last 3 albums. I think they brought new life to the group and if jean had stayed it may have continued on the path of Jimmy Webb and the following singles which didn't fare well as they should have.
yeah - i think the idea of Jean continuing past 73 was an impossible notion. she was so disenfranchised with Motown, the old Supremes image/sound/style, Mary. Jean had her own ideas about how she wanted to lead the group but basically was told no.

but putting that aside [[since this is just fantasy talk anyway), I wonder too if they could have gone a more r&b and funk direction rather than disco. it's possible that they could have rebounded in the mid 70s with a sound like that. but then once EVERYONE went disco in late 77 and 78, the girls would have had to at least do some sort of dance thing. trying to think of top disco songs they might have really clicked with...