[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I would have loved for Mary and particularly Flo to have been given a couple of solo songs on the R & H album. Their background work on this set is exemplary and for me the best of their Supremes career. They certainly add to to the enjoyment of the entire album with each of their personalities shining through.
    Flo might have led on This Can’t Be Love” and perhaps a duet with Diana on “I Could Write A Book”. “Thou Swell” would have made another great duet for Diana and Mary.
    The only song l think Diana sounds weak on is “Spring Is Here”, which perhaps would have been better suited to Mary’s voice.
    i agree. while the R&H set is stellar, i think i would have liked it even more if it was approached with more of group concept. compare it to the There's A Place For Us album which has more group interplay, more 3part harmonies, etc.

as for This Can't Be Love - i don't know about Flo on that one. based on her solo lp, i don't find her work on bouncy little pop tunes to be appealing. of all the tracks in R&H, Johnny One Note is the one i hear her singing - it's fast but has the comic lyrics that i think she could have had fun with. of the released tracks, what about a big power ballad like Where or When?

for Mary, i love FAlling in Love. it's fun as a duet but wonder if they could have structured the song differently. Mary sing the first verse totally solo. Diana joins and they duet on the second verse and then have Flo come in for the ending. it's almost how they did the song - just giving mary the first verse. of the unreleased tracks, Mary would have been lovely on Spring is Here.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i agree. while the R&H set is stellar, i think i would have liked it even more if it was approached with more of group concept. compare it to the There's A Place For Us album which has more group interplay, more 3part harmonies, etc.

as for This Can't Be Love - i don't know about Flo on that one. based on her solo lp, i don't find her work on bouncy little pop tunes to be appealing. of all the tracks in R&H, Johnny One Note is the one i hear her singing - it's fast but has the comic lyrics that i think she could have had fun with. of the released tracks, what about a big power ballad like Where or When?

for Mary, i love FAlling in Love. it's fun as a duet but wonder if they could have structured the song differently. Mary sing the first verse totally solo. Diana joins and they duet on the second verse and then have Flo come in for the ending. it's almost how they did the song - just giving mary the first verse. of the unreleased tracks, Mary would have been lovely on Spring is Here.
    ‘Johnny One Note’ quite possibly, but l can’t really hear Flo on ‘Where Or When’.
    I find the 2002 edition of the complete recordings a little chilly sounding. I longed for the warmth of the vinyl LP on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    ‘Johnny One Note’ quite possibly, but l can’t really hear Flo on ‘Where Or When’.
    I find the 2002 edition of the complete recordings a little chilly sounding. I longed for the warmth of the vinyl LP on this one.
    the lyrics of Johnny remind me of Mame and even [[to a degree) Good News. obviously totally different story line but there's lyrical wit in all three songs which i think Flo really could capture

another Flo tune might be Lover

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    the lyrics of Johnny remind me of Mame and even [[to a degree) Good News. obviously totally different story line but there's lyrical wit in all three songs which i think Flo really could capture

another Flo tune might be Lover
    Nah, l love Diana’s lead on “Lover”, complete with Flo’ and Mary’s superb background vocals. I do agree that Flo’s voice might have been better suited to ‘JON’ as Diana’s voice is a little overextended on that one. All songs are superb, but ‘Thou Swell’ remains my favourite from the original album. Of songs not included on the original release, l would definitely have kept “Blue Room”.
    Proving something of a revelation for me was Diana’s mature and sensitive vocal on “My Funny Valentine”. Her vocal growth is amazing.