Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
I can DEFINITELY relate. I was born in '66 so for the most part, I think you and I had pretty much the same experiences. I have VERY distinct memories of lots of Motown being played at our house. I don't know if my folks had bought some of those "16 BIG HITS" albums or if they were buying many albums by the individual artists, but I recall Stevie Wonder's "I Was Made To Love Her", The Supremes' "Love Child" is another one that I seem to remember was being played a lot. My first record was The Temptations' "Get Ready"/"Fading Away" that I guess I snatched from my folks as my own.

I couldn't have been more than 2 when Stevie's and The Supremes' songs were out and yet it's like you said- I remember them being played in the background to whatever was going on at home. I remember "My Cherie Amour" being played on the radio one day when we were in Arkansas visiting my grandparents. For some reason, it seems the Motown songs are the ones that made the most impression on me as a toddler. I have no recollection of any other 60s hits [[except for one gospel rock tune, "Tell It Like It Is.") When it comes to any other kinds of music outside of Motown, those memories start in the 70s. That to me says a lot about whatever it was Motown was doing.
YES! I can totally relate to everything you said here. I have tons of memories that relate to Motown music. One of my favorite and very clear memories is of sitting on the porch while my mother did her housework. She'd turn on the radio and put it in the window where I could hear it. The song I remember liking a lot that would become my favorite perhaps of all records was The Four Tops "Baby I Need Your Loving". I was 4 years old and it was the new record! LOL!

My father was a huge Temptations fan. He bought the blue Greatest Hits album. He would tell my brother and I not to mess with it when he was not home. He loved the Temptations, but also loved watching those "Pretty Supremes" on television, man he got a kick out of that! I know we loved all the Motown acts and then one night, in the Fall of 1969.....The Jackson 5 took over! LOL! We had to have every record, album that they put out from that point on.