Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
i do like Mary's version, although my fav ballad of hers on HE is Don't Let My Teardrops.

And i don't argue that mary was strong on the ballads in the MSS era. but both S and S were very versatile and talented singers. to limit them ONLY to the dance tracks wasn't right. Mary certainly did [[for better or worse) her share of dance leads. if nothing else it would be interesting to hear the different interpretations.

Scherrie we know would have been sensational on a ballad like this. and i'm super intrigued with what Susaye would have done. there's a stunning version of her My Funny Valentine floating around on youtube. amazing! you might need to redo the arrangment of I Don't Want To Love You to better accommodate her style and approach. but damn!!
Oh yeah, "Teardrops" is a gorgeous recording. Mary does something with it that even the great Dionne Warwick couldn't do with it. It really should've been a single, maybe punched up a bit.

I will say that listening to Scherrie sing ballads in their live shows, she often was very vocally animated, which is exactly why she would've been a great addition to Broadway, but I'm not sure her voice lent itself all that well to pop ballads the way that Mary's did. Even in Glass House I think Scherrie was primarily lead on uptempo numbers, although she does a brilliant rendition of "A House Is Not A Home".

Obviously Susaye was well suited to ballads. But I don't care for her voice, so...