[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I think to some degree it was more to do with the sound and style the general public associated with the Supremes. Had Scherrie been lead on “Up The Ladder To The Roof”, i doubt the record would have sold as well as it did, despite it being an ultra commercial song and Scherrie a great singer.
    I may be wrong, but i think some of this applies to the “Heart Do The Walking”.
    Oh I definitely agree about the sound and style associated with the group. I've said before that, IMO, Scherrie's voice was off brand. While the Supremes were now a real multi lead group, clearly Motown set it up where Scherrie was the unofficial lead singer, as she was given the lead on all but one single and co lead on another. One could make the case that by this point "branding" didn't matter because this was hardly your mama's Supremes anymore. But I do think the group may have had an easier go if the lady who replaced Jean had a voice that had things in common with Jean and Diana. Susaye just doesn't do it for me, especially on this song.

I almost wish Mary had managed to get to Deniece Williams before her solo career blew up.

If you notice with the exception of Where do I go from here, all of the singles were a Scherrie A side and a Mary B side. And of course the share leads. In a way it was showing the it was co leads even if they preferred Scherrie
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Oh I definitely agree about the sound and style associated with the group. I've said before that, IMO, Scherrie's voice was off brand. While the Supremes were now a real multi lead group, clearly Motown set it up where Scherrie was the unofficial lead singer, as she was given the lead on all but one single and co lead on another. One could make the case that by this point "branding" didn't matter because this was hardly your mama's Supremes anymore. But I do think the group may have had an easier go if the lady who replaced Jean had a voice that had things in common with Jean and Diana. Susaye just doesn't do it for me, especially on this song.

I almost wish Mary had managed to get to Deniece Williams before her solo career blew up.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    If you notice with the exception of Where do I go from here, all of the singles were a Scherrie A side and a Mary B side. And of course the share leads. In a way it was showing the it was co leads even if they preferred Scherrie
    Yes, hence my comment about them being a multi lead group. But truth be told, even switching back and forth between Scherrie and Mary, Mary's voice was off brand too, as she sounds even less like anything remotely close to Diana and Jean. Lol However, to Mary's credit, I do think her voice had a sophistication that was on brand, which is why "Don't Let My Teardrops Bother You" is also one of the few songs cut during that time that I believe could have been a major hit.

Not sure about the lovely Denise Williams, but there was the perfect type voice in pop/soul singer Linda Carr.
    Check her out singing the hit “High Wire” on you tube. Vey Dianaish.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Not sure about the lovely Denise Williams, but there was the perfect type voice in pop/soul singer Linda Carr.
    Check her out singing the hit “High Wire” on you tube. Vey Dianaish.
    I think Deniece checked all the boxes. I have a couple of Linda's songs in my collection. "High Wire" is one, though I rarely listen to it. Her version of "I Feel a Song" is pretty good, but the only thing I've heard that wowed me as far as her voice is her song "In My Life". She killed that. But I would probably pass on her taking Jean's place. I don't find Linda's voice sophisticated enough for lead Supreme, nor do I find it "warm" enough. But who knows? Might have worked.

I think Deniece checked all the boxes. I have a couple of Linda's songs in my collection. "High Wire" is one, though I rarely listen to it. Her version of "I Feel a Song" is pretty good, but the only thing I've heard that wowed me as far as her voice is her song "In My Life". She killed that. But I would probably pass on her taking Jean's place. I don't find Linda's voice sophisticated enough for lead Supreme, nor do I find it "warm" enough. But who knows? Might have worked.
    I’m impressed. Given your youthful years, i thought you were going to think Linda who??.
    You may be right about the lack of vocal sophistication not being Supreme enough.
    By the same token, i think Deniece Williams voice to delicate and pretty to handle those Supremes songs. Something sweet, but a little more robust was needed.