[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nevertoolate View Post
    Was wondering if there were still decent songs still in the vaults that would at least make
    good album cuts, I was thinking by 1968, music was changing and Motown was starting to
    decline and get away from the classic sound of 1965-66 as HDH left, riots in Detroit etc.
    This is the same concern I have. 1968 was the last great year at Motown as nearly all members of the first family had defected. Keith's job may be drastically harder from this point forward. I see him rejecting a massive number of tunes as quality will be harder to come by. Hope I'm wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    This is the same concern I have. 1968 was the last great year at Motown as nearly all members of the first family had defected. Keith's job may be drastically harder from this point forward. I see him rejecting a massive number of tunes as quality will be harder to come by. Hope I'm wrong though.
    I would think any tracks left unused for the upcoming set and future sets of the series would be contingent on whether the fellas can get clearance or the actual track would be damaging to the legacy of the artist [[bad notes, etc). While the idea that Motown's quality began to diminish in the late 60s is a debatable one, I would think that Keith and the guys wouldn't use their own personal likes and dislikes to determine what's good or bad in order to decide what to release and what to withhold. I can't imagine that too many of the producers during the time frame would characterize their unreleased Motown tunes as so bad they aren't worthy for release even 50 years later.