[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Remember when?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    We had pretty much the same routine, except Columbus didn't have Saturday afternoon movies until we got cable. Then, Superhost came on channel 43 from Cleveland. Super Corny would have been a better name because he was also their main news anchor during the week, but with a poor-fitting Superman suit and red makeup on his nose. He made me laugh involuntarily during the news because I kept seeing Superhost talking about fires and bank robberies. Then, the Ghoul came on channel 61 at midnight [[I think we talked about him) and he was the best ever, including Elvira [[except for her perfect boobs). After he got fired, we watched Hoolihan & Big Chuck on yet another Cleveland channel late on Saturday night.

Cable TV changed the game for me and my friends.
    I remember channel 43 in Cleveland. We could pick it up sometimes after it rained. Detroit had a number of notable local movie hosts from Bill Kennedy, to Rita Bell, Sir Graves and others. CKLW Channel 9 out of Windsor, Ontario had their own set of great locally produced shows. Being so close to Detroit and Toledo, we considered it one of our local stations.

If you want to check out a pretty good Horror Movie Channel with in studio hosts, check out "Newcastle After Dark" here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC95...cbBI083GmKRY3A

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I remember channel 43 in Cleveland. We could pick it up sometimes after it rained. Detroit had a number of notable local movie hosts from Bill Kennedy, to Rita Bell, Sir Graves and others. CKLW Channel 9 out of Windsor, Ontario had their own set of great locally produced shows. Being so close to Detroit and Toledo, we considered it one of our local stations.

If you want to check out a pretty good Horror Movie Channel with in studio hosts, check out "Newcastle After Dark" here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC95...cbBI083GmKRY3A
    We didn't have Saturday afternoon movie hosts but we had Flippo the Clown in the daytime between 4PM and 6PM. Flippo was more talk than movie and he told the stalest jokes. He went off the air right when I started to figure out his brand of humor. We also had Fritz the Night Owl, who popped up and took over Chiller Theater, which was our Friday night creature feature in the mid-70s. He was pretty cool. The absolute worst was a guy named Jerry Beck who hosted the Almost All Night Theater, which literally showed 10 minutes of movie followed by 10 minutes of Jerry Beck talking about... nothing. It came on at midnight Saturday, was three hours long and I never survived one episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    We didn't have Saturday afternoon movie hosts but we had Flippo the Clown in the daytime between 4PM and 6PM. Flippo was more talk than movie and he told the stalest jokes. He went off the air right when I started to figure out his brand of humor. We also had Fritz the Night Owl, who popped up and took over Chiller Theater, which was our Friday night creature feature in the mid-70s. He was pretty cool. The absolute worst was a guy named Jerry Beck who hosted the Almost All Night Theater, which literally showed 10 minutes of movie followed by 10 minutes of Jerry Beck talking about... nothing. It came on at midnight Saturday, was three hours long and I never survived one episode.
    I saw Chiller Theater before when they tried syndicating it for the Detroit/Toledo market. It lasted only a few months I believe. "Flippo the Clown"? LOL!!!!