Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
I had pretty much lost interest by this time. I loved Scherrie and Susaye, but there were way too many Mary leads for my liking.
For me The Supremes were no longer Supreme
i see what you're saying. i think there are absolutely moments though that had the potential to be a new supremes. Sort of 2 waves

WAVE 1
the Ivey and Woodford material on Sup 75 - this is some of the strongest material during the Scherrie years. rightfully, she handles the majority of the leads. But this is excellent mid 70s pop:

Can't stop a girl
give out [[scherrie lead version - the others are interesting but pale)
color my world
sha la bandit [[this is a bit silly for my taste but decent)
You turn me around - this is a solid Mary lead

it's a shame they didn't do more. It's All Been Said is another strong one. Can We Love Again is pretty good. Seed of Love. That's now 8 songs that could have been released as a pop oriented album.

the majority of their early disco work is ok, at best. He's My Man needed Scherrie on lead. Where Do I Go is ok but generic.

WAVE 2
I'm gonna let my heart and a few of the HE tracks [[title track, only you, keep me moving) are strong. And Missing is solid enough.

then pretty much the entire MS&S album.

These two waves of studio music shows IMO the potential that the group had. But poor management, Mary's efforts to launch her solo career, total lack of vision and strategy for their live stage work doomed things